Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is Epic! Wrenches turn Update.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cam should be visible, you all are correct. I edited that part out.
After seeing them motor pics you posted, I think my motor is very clean.
Has a lil black on the rockers, tops of the rocker covers are dirty but the rest looks very clean. It had a decent service record with the truck.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

So that where I left that. Thanks for finding it for me!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

So thas where I left that. Thanks bro!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone just try and tell me the the Rover gods don't have a sence of humor.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default They don't....not a drop....

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Someone just try and tell me the the Rover gods don't have a sence of humor.
wishful thinking...General Custard had the same....We know that out come....

Old 03-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best advise...

Originally Posted by Spike555
Put it back together, without the wrench.
Drive it while you figure out what you want to do, either buy a used engine or sell the truck with a bad engine.
Then drive it until it blows, if you buy a used engine rebuild it first.

Here is what I would do, buy a used engine, send it out to get rebuilt and in the mean time run only regular grade gas, dollar store motor oil and not even bother with oil changes, oh, and I'd run straight water in the cooling system since if it not going to get below freezing before I replaced the engine.
This is the best advise you are going to get on here...... I think you should have to qualify and take a test to actually buy one of these piles.... The first thing you should do if you actually want to buy a land rover is one...."be f$cking Rich" like most are who buy them or ....If you don't have a wallet full of disposable cash, ......Buy a engine and completely rebuild it and then buy the turd that it sits in. Then be prepared to replace just about everything to get it to where you want it to be......10 k later you can relax for a bit before it starts acting up again.... Nature of the beast....

Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vandev
This is the best advise you are going to get on here...... I think you should have to qualify and take a test to actually buy one of these piles.... The first thing you should do if you actually want to buy a land rover is one...."be f$cking Rich" like most are who buy them or ....If you don't have a wallet full of disposable cash, ......Buy a engine and completely rebuild it and then buy the turd that it sits in. Then be prepared to replace just about everything to get it to where you want it to be......10 k later you can relax for a bit before it starts acting up again.... Nature of the beast....
Sounds like the '95 Jag I'm selling. It's not a car, it's a hobby!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with Spike on this one. I have two ford diesels that I run for work, and we had to swap an engine in one last year. Driving and maintaing the trucks is one of the biggest expenses I have as a business owner.

Old engine was tired, blew smoke and oil, etc. I switched it to crap oil, water in coolant, and ran the cheapest filters I could find. When it finally cracked a head and died, I had the rebuilt motor waiting on it, and was able to pay for it over time and devote the maintenance fund of the junker to the cost of the "heart transplant". Truck was back on the road in 3 days, and will pull a house down the road now, wheels optional.

It probably could have been saved, but the fact is, engines wear out, and if you buy a used car, particularly one that originally cost $40K+, its expensive to maintain. Just because you paid $4k-10K or whatever you did, doesn't change the fact that parts and service are based on those who buy luxury vehicles. The car industry makes its money on parts and service. Very little margin in new cars.

And if you think these things are expensive, go buy a ford 6.0/6.4 diesel. One of the worst black eyes a company has had in a long time. Ambulance fleet managers here hate those things like the plague. $3K for injectors, $4.5K for headgaskets, $1500 for EGR delete, the list goes on and on.

PS - find the jackwagon who left that wrench in there and beat him with it. Sloppy mechanics make me so mad.

Ok, rant over. Sorry.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Ford Powerstroke is a giant turd, head gaskets go out more than on a Rover, and if you overheat it you not only ruin the heads but the block as well, and then they heads and block cannot be used as a core so you are buying a brand spanking new engine plus the core charge, talk about big bucks.
My friends who own a salvage yard see all kinds of Ford trucks with the Powerstroke that was overheated, these trucks are less than 10yrs old, lots of good parts but the engine is toast and it costs more to replace it than the whole truck is worth.
The Duramax is not as bad, but not that good either.

Quick Reply: This is Epic! Wrenches turn Update.