Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust smoke, waterfall sound overheating... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you are not doing the work yourself and are paying someone else, of course you want the heads done.
If you dont do the heads and there is a problem that is what the shop is going to point too as a problem.

If your doing it yourself and dont value your time then you could take a chance on not doing the heads.
But you can be assurred the odds are against you seeing another 90K on the head gasket if you dont square the heads up.

i'm sure other people will chime in but I would never put new lifter on a camshaft that has 90k miles on it, and there is no camshaft manufacture that would suggest you do it either, but any thing can be done.

Thats the difference getting it done and getting it done right.
Odds are also against the lifters solving your tick as well.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In the overhaul manual section of the RAVE they give the specs for head "flatness" and how to check it when heads are off. It would be possible that a bad gasket and heads still not warped beyond that point. The spec is .002 inch. Your printer paper is .0038 inch. Also, aluminum heads are softer and could be pulled back somewhat flat by the new installation.

IMHO that would explain why it is not always necessary to mill them, and why some that skip this step succeed. But they should always be checked when off, and milling them seems to run in the $200 range, depends again on which machine shop. Page from shop manual attached.

As for the new lifter - old cam issue - see http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/CamLifters.aspx .

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
head resurface.pdf (133.4 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-07-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am taking the Disco over to the mechanic Monday to start the process. They are buying lifters direct from LR and the cost is $347. They said I could bring my own. Can I buy them at a local parts store or is this one of those parts that quality varies a lot. If so, I noticed Atlantic British had set for $219 so mayby I will have them shipped direct to the shop. Lastly, would you replace the Cam shafts. Thats getting into a whole lot of money to gamble that this might help my tic! My gut sais just replace the lifters and live with it either way but would like your opinion.

Last edited by srockrae; 12-07-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you can use AB

Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That Buckhead shop sounds just fine.
I would go with it.
The price is good.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to drive the Disco today about 5 miles as I am trapped without a car and noticed steam coming from the drivers side of the engine toward the firewall now (Before I had noticed it from the tailpipe. The mechanic was concerned when I told him that I was misfiring from #3 as he said the way water goes through the engine, that would not be an expected place for the head gasket. Taking it tomorrow and have a few final questions.

1) How dangerous is it to drive it like this. Have to go about 20 miles? Can I just keep filling with water if/when it gets hot? OR should I just tow it.

2) Now that steam is coming from engine (in place described above) does the #3 misfire make more sense. Just kind of worried I am going to need a new engine.

3) Lastly, I am putting in new lifters. Is their anything else I should insist on while he is in there?

4) Why does my ultra guage keep giving me two identical codes P0303????

Thanks

Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by srockrae
Had to drive the Disco today about 5 miles as I am trapped without a car and noticed steam coming from the drivers side of the engine toward the firewall now (Before I had noticed it from the tailpipe. The mechanic was concerned when I told him that I was misfiring from #3 as he said the way water goes through the engine, that would not be an expected place for the head gasket. Taking it tomorrow and have a few final questions.

1) How dangerous is it to drive it like this. Have to go about 20 miles? Can I just keep filling with water if/when it gets hot? OR should I just tow it.

2) Now that steam is coming from engine (in place described above) does the #3 misfire make more sense. Just kind of worried I am going to need a new engine.

3) Lastly, I am putting in new lifters. Is their anything else I should insist on while he is in there?

4) Why does my ultra guage keep giving me two identical codes P0303????

Thanks
I would get it owed. Our engines don't deal too well when its overheating!!!!!You may damage other parts!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Cylinder three can be a head gasket, but it does happen more often on the "end" cyclinders. The middle cylinders can indicate a cracked block problem. Have it towed, the towing bill is a lot less than an engine.