Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty and other misc q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extended warranty and other misc q's

The industry has a bad reputation for sure, so if you do it, go with someone with a vested interest in keeping you happy, not maximizing profit by fighting claims. Best bets are the manufacturer sponsored/endorsed plans (not the independents sold by some dealers), and believe it or not there are some decent ones at very reasonable prices available from auto insurance companies (eg. Geico). Truth is, however, because parts and labor are expensive and the incidence of repair is high, these programs tend to be cost prohibitive for Rovers despite the fact they are frequently negotiable, at least at the dealer level. Legally speaking, these are not warranties, but are extended parts and labor agreements, and generally only cover those parts that are specifically listed. Usually there are different levels of coverage, so you can get coverage for only major components at more affordable rates if your concern is the engine, tranny, etc. Your responsiibility is to maintain the vehicle to the manufacturers minimum standards, and you must be prepared to prove you have done so, or they can deny the claim. If you choose to maintain your own vehicle, I suggest you keep meticulous records and receipts for every quart of oil and oil filter you buy. These agreements usually contain a provision that state they can declare your vehicle a total loss in lieu of fixing it if your repairs have exceeded its value over a specified period, so read the fine print in the agreement itself, not the brochure.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new the forum, but here we go. I bought an "Extended Warranty" from Warranty America, LLC (through smartautowarrany.com). I recently took my truck('03 HSE7)in for it's 60K maint. and while it was there I had them look at an oil leak. To repair the oil leak and a couple of other small issues it was over 3K work of work (not including the 1K for the mainenance). They paid everthing except the $100 deductable and the cost of the 60Kwith out any hassle. The even paid part of my 60K because it would have been part of the repairs. I had to go with these guys because nobody told me I had to buy my extended warranty from land rover before 49K (1000 before it expired) or elseI would have gone that way/. I tried at 49,200. Anyway, that is my $.02.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Mudding

I tried at 49,200.
Sounds like your dealer isn't very co-operative...all they had to do was make a simple "typo" when filling out the milage on theform...for the sake of 200 miles!! My local dealership fudged the info a little to help me "qualify" for the LR Assured Extended Warranty.

Sounds like you got a decent warranty anyway though.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Mudding

I wonder if they weren't getting a better commission off the other warranty...hmmm!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say that you should know your Disco by now, and therefore know if it is reliable or not. Normally, a warranty is good for someone who first buys a vehicle, not knowing what to expect. If after owning it that long, you know that all the maintenance is up to date and all is good, by all means, keep your money and keep on maintaining it and all will be fine. And if at one point, something does break, chances are that it will cost you less to fix itthan it would for the price of the warranty minus the frustration of having to fight to get it fixed.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Keep your money where it belongs, with you. Open a Money Market Account and when you need a expensive repair the money is there. You wont even miss it, and if you never need it then you have that much more for retirement.
If you were thinking of adding the cost of the warranty to your loan, (that much cash can be hard to come by)figure out how much it would raise your payment and then put that into a Money Market Account each month, so you make payments to yourself.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have looked into extended warranty's and every one of those guys promise the world but good luck on support.