Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory OEM Long Block Build For Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Factory OEM Long Block Build For Sale?

Trying to get a sense of what the interest would be on the following:

I have a NEW factory-fresh STC1891 4.0L RED P38 short block and a set of completely redone (new valves, rockers, shafts and guide seals) SAI heads. Thinking about building this and offering for sale if there is interest on the forum.

Would be complete with 4.6 cam, lifters, rocker covers, oil pan, front cover, timing set, water pump and your choice of GEMS or Bosch crank position sensor mount. Essentially ready to drop in and bolt on your accessories.

Atlantic British asks for $7,200 (plus core of $1,250) for their rebuilt 4.6L SAI long block. I think mine is better.

Price $6,000 plus shipping. Local pickup (SE Pennsylvania) would be okay. I could actually take you for a drive in my 2003 that has one of these installed so you can judge the performance results for yourself.

If you're a DIY kind of guy the price is $4,500 plus shipping for the short block only - crated and ready to go. Again, pickup is okay if you're local.

Rare opportunity! Not many (any?) factory short blocks available for sale.

Comments?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Not a very big market for factory short blocks I imagine. Not when a short block complete with flanged liners would set you back for about the same.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Not a very big market for factory short blocks I imagine. Not when a short block complete with flanged liners would set you back for about the same.
I don't disagree with you. It comes down to where you feel comfortable. Here you have an option to go with the factory during the P38 era when build and component quality was very good or go with a random rebuild shop and take your chances with them. We've all heard stories, not to mention the horror of Cannibal V8.

As they say, it's only new once.

Last edited by Fast951; 10-06-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

A Turner long block with upgraded cam and gas flowed heads runs about $7000 delivered. That is with flanged liners installed, all gaskets, new oil pump with front cover, and new water pump. I think you have a great block, but it may be priced a bit high. Just trying to add some constructive feedback.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
I don't disagree with you. It comes down to where you feel comfortable. Here you have an option to go with the factory during the P38 era when build and component quality was very good or go with a random rebuild shop and take your chances with them. We've all heard stories, not to mention the horror of Cannibal V8.

As they say, it's only new once.
Agreed, but my point was that the price for a non-random builder, I.e. Turner engineering, already has you beat. and I don't think anyone would risk any factory liner block for that kind of money when a turner can be had for the same price.

I think your values are more than fair at face value! But I think you're going to see offers of closer to 3k for the short block and personally I couldn't see spending more than 5 for the long block. Again, this so simply because I know I can assemble one for far cheaper (but that's a whole new can of worms) and that anyone can buy a known spectacular product for similar money and incur zero risk of factory block issues.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Agreed, but my point was that the price for a non-random builder, I.e. Turner engineering, already has you beat. and I don't think anyone would risk any factory liner block for that kind of money when a turner can be had for the same price.

I think your values are more than fair at face value! But I think you're going to see offers of closer to 3k for the short block and personally I couldn't see spending more than 5 for the long block. Again, this so simply because I know I can assemble one for far cheaper (but that's a whole new can of worms) and that anyone can buy a known spectacular product for similar money and incur zero risk of factory block issues.
I don't see how that math adds up. I'm asking $6,000 for local pickup. Shipping would add about $250-$300 if you're not local.

When the P38 short blocks were available from Rover retail was like $8,600. I'd be more willing to find a low mileage Disco that needs an engine (I've heard there are a few out there) and save another one myself instead of entertaining an offer of $3,000. Remember, the P38 blocks were used in Range vehicles and didn't experience anywhere near the failure rate of blocks used for later Discovery 00-04. These early 4.0L blocks are also coveted by rebuilders once they reach the end of their factory service life because the block casting is much higher quality.

My build would come with new gear like the Turner rebuild minus the gas flow heads and of course the top hats since mine is NEW. I'm not too sure what real value the Turner heads provide since power is not the general goal of most Disco owners -- reliability is.

Last edited by Fast951; 10-06-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Frankly, it doesnt matter if the math adds up. It matters if people are willing to pay your price and IMO people aren't. Economy and power may not be the goals, but they are nice little benefits. You can steady get a reman engine with top hat liners for sub 6k. You can have liners installed for like $1500. If my engine died tomorrow, I don't care if the replacement is brand new. Actually I'd prefer it was a reman with new sleeves. Whether the failure rates were much lower or not, they aren't as low as with top hat sleeved blocks like Turner sells.

I know if it were me, I wouldn't pay more than $3300 for your block. For any more than that and I'm going with a reputable reman such as Turner.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I recently bought a freshly rebuilt 2002 P38 4.6l short block with everything but flanged liners for $1200 from a guy who couldn't finish his project. Just sayin.

Lucky for me he is an actual LR tech who was doing this project on the side. I had it looked over by my regular shop and they approved of the build quality.

This is with every seal and bearing replaced and a new cam and lifters, front cover, oil pump etc.

If people could get $6k for a P38 block people would be buying up all the P38's still running and flipping the engine and junking the rest of the car.

Last edited by Dave03S; 10-06-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I recently bought a freshly rebuilt 2002 P38 4.6l short block with everything but flanged liners for $1200 from a guy who couldn't finish his project. Just sayin.

Lucky for me he is an actual LR tech who was doing this project on the side. I had it looked over by my regular shop and they approved of the build quality.

This is with every seal and bearing replaced and a new cam and lifters, front cover, oil pump etc.
That is excellent. Yes, you got lucky. I think everyone here on the forum would love to see a picture of your find!

Originally Posted by Dave03S
If people could get $6k for a P38 block people would be buying up all the P38's still running and flipping the engine and junking the rest of the car.
Mine is NEW still in the shipping crate from the factory which I believe warrants the $4,500 price - you must have missed that point.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Frankly, it doesnt matter if the math adds up. It matters if people are willing to pay your price and IMO people aren't. Economy and power may not be the goals, but they are nice little benefits. You can steady get a reman engine with top hat liners for sub 6k. You can have liners installed for like $1500. If my engine died tomorrow, I don't care if the replacement is brand new. Actually I'd prefer it was a reman with new sleeves. Whether the failure rates were much lower or not, they aren't as low as with top hat sleeved blocks like Turner sells.

I know if it were me, I wouldn't pay more than $3300 for your block. For any more than that and I'm going with a reputable reman such as Turner.
Well this is why I tossed this idea out for comment. Early indications are this may not be the correct audience, which is just fine. I can easily find a Disco that needs to be rescued, toss in a factory new engine with only break-in miles and ask $15K. And get it, too.

Quick Reply: Factory OEM Long Block Build For Sale?