Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory OEM Long Block Build For Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:15 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

This might not be your audience for potential buyers of a 15k Disco either, respectfully.

Maybe if the 15k Disco had all new suspension, bushings, brakes, tires, cats, SD roof rack, and a couple pounds of organic Sour Diesel in the cargo area.

I've seen a few advertised at that price so I'm sure there is someone out there...

A few years ago I had a friend get $7900 for a low mile Freelander, so anything is possible.

Last edited by Dave03S; 10-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
This might not be your audience for potential buyers of a 15k Disco either, respectfully.

Maybe if the 15k Disco had all new suspension, bushings, brakes, tires, cats, SD roof rack, and a couple pounds of organic Sour Diesel in the cargo area.

I've seen a few advertised at that price so I'm sure there is someone out there...

A few years ago I had a friend get $7900 for a low mile Freelander, so anything is possible.
You just described mine....minus the sour diesel. Lol. Fact of the matter is you can never sell these trucks for the money that you put into them. I'm in mine for about $20k now. I'd be lucky to get $10-12k. Key word being lucky.

Last edited by dtmbinb; 10-06-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
That is excellent. Yes, you got lucky. I think everyone here on the forum would love to see a picture of your find!

Mine is NEW still in the shipping crate from the factory which I believe warrants the $4,500 price - you must have missed that point.
But you can buy a turner short block for the same price and it's better... in every respect. Even if they start with a late 4.6 block from a disco, the end result is still better than a NOS unit.

And like someone else pointed out, you can steal wrecked p38's and discos all day for $500 or less.

Will someone jump on what you've got? Yeah probably. Think you'd have much better luck on ebay though.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
This might not be your audience for potential buyers of a 15k Disco either, respectfully...
HA! You couldn't pay me to advertise that vehicle for sale here! I'm not willing to volunteer for that kind of punishment!

While the overwhelming majority of the community is helpful and respectful there are some who seem to look only for opportunities to criticize.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
But you can buy a turner short block for the same price and it's better... in every respect. Even if they start with a late 4.6 block from a disco, the end result is still better than a NOS unit...
Agree to disagree. New is better in my book any day of the year.

New crankshaft worth its weight in gold. Not sure if Turner fits new pistons; like to believe they do - they should. Plus, when Turner bores the block to fit new top hats there's no telling how many coolant jackets they open up behind the new liners in those late (read:crappy) 4.6 blocks. If the machinist is fitting liners with o-rings, and they are properly installed with silicone grease you might be good. But I've heard about shops that just toss the o-rings (!) because they are a PITA to install.

Of course I'd like to believe Turner knows what they are doing when installing those Darton liners which is why you're paying a premium for their parts and work. But no rebuild shop I know of fits a NEW crank. Nada.

Last edited by Fast951; 10-06-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
Agree to disagree. New is better in my book any day of the year.

New crankshaft worth its weight in gold. Not sure if Turner fits new pistons; like to believe they do - they should. Plus, when Turner bores the block to fit new top hats there's no telling how many coolant jackets they open up behind the new liners in those late (read:crappy) 4.6 blocks. If the machinist is fitting liners with o-rings, and they are properly installed with silicone grease you might be good. But I've heard about shops that just toss the o-rings (!) because they are a PITA to install.

Of course I'd like to believe Turner knows what they are doing when installing those Darton liners which is why you're paying a premium for their parts and work. But no rebuild shop I know of fits a NEW crank. Nada.
They have a bullet proof reputation.

New crank is unnecessary if it's strait, has good journals, and passes magnaflux.

Nobody with turners reputation overlooks pistons.

Rods are all forged and are machined as needed, probably more uniform than factory.

Bearings are probably superior to factory. Cam bearing are probably one piece, not two like factory rover.

Doesn't matter if they get into water jackets because, as you said, the o-ring liners seal both ends and turn it into a wet liner If there are any holes. Pretty sure turner also offers a warranty, do you?

That's what you are up against. The most reputable rover crate engine providers in the industry. It's your NOS block against years of voodoo related to rover engine failures and the success of Turner and a few others.

Last edited by KingKoopa; 10-06-2017 at 02:57 PM.