Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Radio Locked

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Radio Locked

Last week my battery died and I replaced it. The factory radio is now locked with a "CODE" displaying. Please tell me I don't have to go to the dealership to get this unlocked.

99 Disco I

The following users liked this post:
Geeton (06-25-2022)
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Factory Radio Locked

You guessed it, don't forget to be nice to them.
When in the service dept, take in your registration as proof of ownership and ask them to run your vin for a radio code as well as all outstanding recalls.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take you VIN to the dealership, they will give you a 4 digit code to unlock it. Look through your owners manual first, lots of people wrote it down, but yes, you have to go to the dealer. They should give you the code for free. Take you title or some proof of ownership just in case.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

When I bought my Discovery, they gave me a small aluminum tag with the 4 digit unlock code on it. In addition to okdiscoguy's suggestion, it might be worth sifting through the glove box and owners manualfolio to see if you can find something similar.

Dave

Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, that brings uptwo questions:
1. My battery is 4 years old so I was considering replacing it before winter this year. Will I automatically have to go to the dealer and get the code no matter what?
2. What kind of battery did you buy as your replacement? Haven't looked alot yet, just wondering if there's one that everyone has used. I don't have any aftermarket lights, winchor electronics, so something to OEM specs is fine.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm sure everyone has a favorite and maybe Rovers are more picky than others, but I buy whatever battery is on sale at the nearest auto parts storethat properly fits mycars and replace them every 4 yearswhether they need it or not. I've never been stranded due to a dead battery. (sound of knocking on wood).

If you have the 4 digit code mentioned in this thread, then you will not need to go to the dealer to get the radio unlocked and can do it yourself with the code. If you can't find your code, you can go to the dealer with proof of ownership of the vehicle and they'll give it to you before you change your battery.

Dave

Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: jdelp

Interesting, that brings up two questions:
1. My battery is 4 years old so I was considering replacing it before winter this year. Will I automatically have to go to the dealer and get the code no matter what?
2. What kind of battery did you buy as your replacement? Haven't looked alot yet, just wondering if there's one that everyone has used. I don't have any aftermarket lights, winch or electronics, so something to OEM specs is fine.
On your 04 or any D2 for that matter, you don't need to worry about a radio code, they usually store it. I have unhooked my battery many time and never had to recode it.
As for your new replacement battery I am a big believer in Optium Red tops for standard use and Yellow tops when you have a winch and lots of lights. The Red Top can be found at Costco for about $110, by the way, it is a gell battery and is built to take a lot more vibration that a 4wheeler gets off road.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Rock Crawling

I can second the recommendation for the Optima battery for rugged use. We used to use them in our field vehicles in Alaska at a companyI worked for. Durable and reliable. Nice not to have to worry about leaking acid.