Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faint alarm sound around abs/master cylinder area when vehicle off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:36 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Faint alarm sound around abs/master cylinder area when vehicle off?

Ok I don't ever recall reading or ever hearing of this...so hear it goes. Today I was working on some custom fab work for front end and before I left I was going to check my transmission fluid. I changed it few weeks ago and was just going to make sure it was full. So I get down on creeper and get my head under vehicle (at 2 a.m. so its dead quiet outside and inside, weather was too nice I couldnt stop lol). The second I get head under vehicle I hear this steady buzz type of sound. Almost like a clock ticking but with a little buzz added to it. It was as steady as a grandfather clock to every second buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz. It is extremely faint I must add. Well vehicle has been off for 3+hours so now I am very curious so I try to trace it. It leads me to the engine so i get off floor and start listening above. From here I still cant pin point it. (I dont have best of hearing either). I do know its somewhere around the ABS or Master cylinder. Finally I call it a night and drive home. When I park and vehicle was still running, I hear a steady buzz coming from left side of dash. Thats all the info I have for now. Anyone know what this is or what is going on here?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

normal for 10 minutes after shutdown but if it never shuts off there is a tsb, only option is the dealer. Its coming from the modulator.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lipadj46
normal for 10 minutes after shutdown but if it never shuts off there is a tsb, only option is the dealer. Its coming from the modulator.
I concur...normal unless it never shuts off and if then check tsb...

Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So THAT"S what that noise is. I've heard it but just overlooked it until my battery was dead after parked for 3 days. When I hooked the charger up, that noise came back. I disconnected the battery then connected it and the noise was gone. Must be a relay (?)
Dealer, you say? What is it and how much? I refuse to go to the dealer unless it's a recall.

Eric

Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I have always wondered what that was!.....it's nice to know I am not going nuts just yet.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There was a TSB on this, it is supposed to shut off after 10 min or so.
The dealer may or may not remedy this for you for free because you are not the original owner so that is up to them.
If anything it should only be 1 hours labor charge, all they need to do is hook up their computer and reprogram your SLABS unit.