Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the final word on DURATRACS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that in deep mud and slushy crap, that the tires kind of sink in a bit, but then they really hook up. My friend has them on his Chevy z71 and found the same thing to be true. He was running around on a oil spill recovery site in southern Michigan this summer and was often driving in marshy conditions.
I noticed that when the mud is deep on the sidewalls, like where those grippy thingys (technical tire talk ya know) are, that is when they seemed to to really hook up way better than other tires I have had.--Keep in mind that this means like 6 inches of sloppy conditions.
All in all. I love my tires, no more slipping, especially on off camber conditions, the edges always feel "sharp" and it takes the lines you want it to every time!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 20vturbo
what size are they?
265-75-16

Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by willrok13
Are you going to mount the tire on a roof rack or something and just have cans on the door? That would be pretty cool, and a great way to carry the cans. Don't know if I'd go cans and tire on the rear door though.
thats the debate. i want to have a mount for when i do long trips like northers BC and alaska. i have a roof set up that i would toss the tire up onto and rig for can on the spare tire mount. but around town i can take the jerry can holder off and run the spare on the door like normal.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
I found that in deep mud and slushy crap, that the tires kind of sink in a bit, but then they really hook up. My friend has them on his Chevy z71 and found the same thing to be true. He was running around on a oil spill recovery site in southern Michigan this summer and was often driving in marshy conditions.
I noticed that when the mud is deep on the sidewalls, like where those grippy thingys (technical tire talk ya know) are, that is when they seemed to to really hook up way better than other tires I have had.--Keep in mind that this means like 6 inches of sloppy conditions.
All in all. I love my tires, no more slipping, especially on off camber conditions, the edges always feel "sharp" and it takes the lines you want it to every time!
exactly what i meant. in powdery soft snow they just drove along as normal with lots of grip and could even stop fast. but in the soupy slush they sank in under the weight and once i gased the rig they would dig in and then bite like crazy and pull you right along. really cool stuff from what i call a hybrid AT/MT tire. best bang for the buck all around tire out there IMO

Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spare and fuel debate. I have a great fuel carrier that I made that carried one fuel can. It adds about 50 lbs to the door when full. I rarely carry it when full and so I just will keep a couple gallons to get me to a gas station of needed. I have yet to find that the door is having any issues with the extra weight. I think for most people they will not carry a fuel gas can. If I ever get around to it I am making a swing out carrier for the tire and 2 fuel cans. That way there is not any weight on the door. Plus it will look bad ***.