Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally an owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011 | 01:33 AM
|
Drifting

Thank you all for your replies!

Picked the car up a couple of days ago, and after the roughly 4 hour drive back home I have been driving it a couple of miles every evening. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I will definately be taking it off road, that's why I bought it, but nothing as crazy as some of the videos I've seen. I don't think I'll be able to resist taking it to the ORV park though, I have one just 5 min from my house.

I plan on taking it kind of easy until I've had it checked out at the local Land Rover dealer, and have completed the service recommended on this site for vehicles at 60K miles, or purchased used. I'll be asking a lot of questions.

I don't know if this vehicle has any extras since I'm not sure what the "S" came with standard. I don't have a sun roof, and really don't mind that one. I'm not sure if my seats are leather or fake leather, and I don't believe I have the systems that level the vehicle (ACE?).

I do have cruise control, power seats, power windows, radio with cd, hill decent, cargo boxes in the back, and the diffential can be locked in both high and low range. Of everything the car has the lockable diffential would have been the only deal breaker. I heard that not all Discovery's have that, so I made sure this one did.

I would have liked the cold weather package, I'm from Spokane, WA, but I'm ok without. If I can verify that this is one of the models that can easily be converted to heated seats I will do that. Heated windshield doesn't seem important to me since I have a defroster, and the heat works very well.

I will do the driveshaft very soon, and will definately install a trailer hitch/wiring.

I would like to have a brush guard and roof rack, but I've looked around and OMG are they EXPENSIVE!!

I already have a concern and am about to post a new thread. I noticed it idles somewhat rough upon startup, and there is noticable white smoke for a couple of seconds immediately following a cold start.

Old 01-29-2011 | 06:11 AM
Banned

You do not have heated seats, only the SE and up had those with the leather seats.

Old 01-29-2011 | 07:22 AM
Winching

The 2004 S model is different than previous years. I believe your truck is pre-wired forthe heated seat option -- you just have to buy the switches. Check with AB on that before purchasing.

The '04 S models came pretty well equipped for off-road use (16" rims!). And I like the pleather seats -- they stayed much cleaner on the '03 S I had than the '04 SE I have now. Congrats, you have an awesome truck.

Old 01-29-2011 | 12:27 PM
|
Drifting

Thanks Willrok, who/what is "AB?"

Old 01-30-2011 | 06:52 AM
Rock Crawling

AB is Atlantic British, one of our parts suppliers. They have about everything you might want for replacement parts.

Follow the link in my signature or the sigs of many of the other users to get a copy of the RAVE manual. You will need it.

Old 01-30-2011 | 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Congrats on the purchase! I've been wanting one of these since I was a kid and finally picked one up last week!

Old 01-30-2011 | 09:56 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by New2LR
If I can verify that this is one of the models that can easily be converted to heated seats I will do that
If you have cloth seats then they won't be pre-wired for heated seats. If they're leather than you can do it. Remove the switch pack and see if you have the two extra wiring harnesses. I didn't buy my switch pack from AB, I found it on ebay. ($30 in excellent cond)
However, just hooking them up doesn't mean they will work. Even though they haven't been used, the heater elements in the seat can break over time, and you will have to take the seat apart to put in new elements.

Eric