Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First of many dumb ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013 | 09:53 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default First of many dumb ?'s

Sorry to star with idiot items but... Just got the 04 HSE and the drivers door has a loud two bit clunk when opening and closing. There seems to be a spring fed tab between the hinges held together with a cotter pin. Before I pull the door shell to poke around is this a common wear issue and and any easy fix? Disconnect the tab? Cover with plastic tubing? Rip the door apart? Also, the rear door has a terrible creak to it. Sprayed white lithium grease helped a little. Looking from underneath there are spring steel bits that are really rusted. Rip them out too? Thanks in advance for replies both sarcastic and otherwise ;-). I'm here to learn and hopefully share!

Old 11-21-2013 | 10:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Not on my Disco, but in other cars I've seen where the cotter pins in doors wear from opening and closing. In the car I was looking at, it wasn't the pin, it was the frame around the pin that was worn. In this instance, the only fix would be to drill and use a larger pin. Or I guess maybe you could tap a tiny nail down next to the pin to tighten it up again.

For the rear door, I greased the bottom 'strap' pretty thoroughly with axle grease and it helped my door squeak.

Old 11-22-2013 | 09:19 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks, I'll try that next. I'm not afraid to rip things apart so if I can come up with something interesting in either case I'll post it up!
Next dumb question....(there will be plenty more) Has anyone ever looked into moving the spare from the back to under the rear hitch mount? I have a RRS that tucks the spare and it seems there is enough room to do something similar.

Last edited by GGhost; 11-22-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added