Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First off-road trip.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:30 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First off-road trip.

Well, I was in Northern Ontario for Thanksgiving this weekend and got a chance to take the Disco out and thrash it about a bit. Gave me some real insight into what it still needs to be able to accomplish what I want to do.

First of all I need non-street tires... the stock tires really did not do very well at all in mud as little as 8" deep.

Second, the winch was a lifesaver... needed to use it at least 3 times.

Third, traction control is not enough. When you have all 4 wheels in a mud bottomed creek and are trying to push up the opposite bank it just spins one wheel and gets no traction to speak of. Without the winch we'd have been potentially walking about 30+ Mi to get assitance.

Fourth, a fallen tree.. even one 3' across and 50' long is not heavy enough to winch off

Fifth, you can overcome most obstacles with the application of speed

Sixth, the stock bumper is made out of a rubbermaid cooler.... only bottomed it out once and lost an end-cap, one of the lamps, and will probably have a few hours of hammering work to get things back in the original shape.

So, to sumarize, winch good! traction control ok on street not OK when offroading, need offroad tires, need steel bumper, offroading in boreal forest, fun!

I haven't dared wash the mud off the paint though, I'm afraid to see how many scratches there are now. I really regret forgetting my camera though, it was pretty wild.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: First off-road trip.

In the end, she got you where u needed.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: ajh

Well, I was in Northern Ontario for Thanksgiving this weekend and got a chance to take the Disco out and thrash it about a bit. Gave me some real insight into what it still needs to be able to accomplish what I want to do.

First of all I need non-street tires... the stock tires really did not do very well at all in mud as little as 8" deep.

Second, the winch was a lifesaver... needed to use it at least 3 times.

Third, traction control is not enough. When you have all 4 wheels in a mud bottomed creek and are trying to push up the opposite bank it just spins one wheel and gets no traction to speak of. Without the winch we'd have been potentially walking about 30+ Mi to get assitance.

Fourth, a fallen tree.. even one 3' across and 50' long is not heavy enough to winch off

Fifth, you can overcome most obstacles with the application of speed

Sixth, the stock bumper is made out of a rubbermaid cooler.... only bottomed it out once and lost an end-cap, one of the lamps, and will probably have a few hours of hammering work to get things back in the original shape.

So, to sumarize, winch good! traction control ok on street not OK when offroading, need offroad tires, need steel bumper, offroading in boreal forest, fun!

I haven't dared wash the mud off the paint though, I'm afraid to see how many scratches there are now. I really regret forgetting my camera though, it was pretty wild.
Does the truck have a lift, how many miles on i?
Are you running 16"or 18" wheels?
Yes tires well help big time.
Better traction is needed, tires will reall help. You can't run a locker on your 03 cause you don't have a center diff lock.
Why don't you build a good rear bumper, I did, if you want I'll send you some pictures.
Take your time, you'll make it work.
Mike

Old 10-10-2006, 04:02 PM
ajh
Winching

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
Does the truck have a lift, how many miles on i?
Are you running 16"or 18" wheels?
Yes tires well help big time.
Better traction is needed, tires will reall help. You can't run a locker on your 03 cause you don't have a center diff lock.
Why don't you build a good rear bumper, I did, if you want I'll send you some pictures.
Take your time, you'll make it work.
Mike
Yes, got a 2" (though I haven't measured to see how much lift I actually ended up with I suspect it's closer to 3... what's the stock height of the top of the wheel arch bodywork?

Right now 18" street tires, they're on my list of things to replace. I'm thinking 265/75R16 for snow and mud, the green diamond C/T if I can get a set.

Right, now I'm looking for a parts list of what I need to put a centre diff lock on the truck. It moved up the priority list.

I live downtown, just don't have the space/space for tools I'd like to have to build something.

Yep, and getting out and thrashing things is the only real way to be sure what's needed. I also figure I need some kind of soft-earth winch anchor as well since it was only luck that I was able to reach winching points at times.