Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The first review of the Yoko Geolander AT-S tires in the snow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The first review of the Yoko Geolander AT-S tires in the snow.

Months back, I was looking for tires that were good on the road, but also nice in the snow and could sometimes go off road. The Disco is my "activity" vehicle for snowboarding and skiing, so the snow was an important part. Through help here, I realized I could go up to 265/60/18 without rubbing, and they were perfect.
Instead of the more expensive options, I went with the Geolander AT-S and figured I would give them a shot. At $151 each, it thought it was a good value vs the Revo AT2 at $181 and the Goodyear SilentArmor at $199 in that size.
I gave my on road reviews (quiet, decent handling, good in the wet) so figured now that we got 16" in a freak October snow, I would give that review so others know how they are.
Traction on acceleration, pulling through deep snow from a start: Beyond excellent. Zero drama, even starting out on unplowed roads with 12" on them. With 6" of snow on the road, I was able to pull an F150 out of a ditch with NO issues (kind of shocked me how easy it was).
Cornering: Good. Even pushing it into corners, the bite on the side was very good, and did not understeer.
Braking: OK. The roads had no salt or sand on them, and the heavy snow was packed into ice in many spots. It took a bit longer to stop than I would have liked, but understand she is a heavy truck. Would have preferred not to have ABS a couple times to let the tires lock and dig.
Ice: No tire is great on ice, but these did an OK job. They found traction when needed.
So overall, if you are looking for a decent tire for the money and worry about snow traction, these do a nice job and really dig in.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDI5LTAwMDg0LmpwZw.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  103.8 KB

Old 11-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! thats just mean looking!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great picture!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Blizzaks are GREAT on ice.

What I dont understand, and this is just a generic rant, everyone calls them "Goodyear Wranglers with Silent Armor" without mentioning which exact Wrangler tire they are talking about.
I mean there are only 10 different versions of the Wrangler tire with Silent Armor.
It makes it very hard to compare tires.
Anyway, glad you like the Yoko's and I wish we had snow already.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555

What I dont understand, and this is just a generic rant, everyone calls them "Goodyear Wranglers with Silent Armor" without mentioning which exact Wrangler tire they are talking about.
I mean there are only 10 different versions of the Wrangler tire with Silent Armor.
Yes, nice to have snow! I could have done without the 1000's of trees coming down though!
I had the Blizzak tires on my Audi and they were good. I switched off to the Dunlop Wintersport M3's though as they were a bit more of a performance tire. I do winter driving events up in New England sometimes, pretty much have a course set up on a frozen lake. Amazing fun! Both are OK on the ice, but if you want traction on pure ice you need studs (I go studless anyway).
And yes, not sure about the Silent Armor and what is what. The ones I looked at on Tire Rack just said "Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor".
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor

Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555

Mine are 265/65/18s Goodyear Silent armours. Great tires so far but no snow yet to compare to the yokos. No snow up here yet, strange....

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Five, count them, five different Wrangler tires!!! They all have Silent Armor even if it is not in the description.
Hell, my work van, with Goodyear commercial tires have Silent Armor.

Goodyear

See my point? Just saying "Wrangler's with..."means nothing to me.