Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Discovery II buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 05:30 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTLOU
Love mine. Have 4: an 00' TreK, an 02' SE, and 03' S and an 04' SE.
I must not think with my head....

4 you must love Rovers or have masochistic tendancies

I know a good psychiatrist

The following users liked this post:
CPTLOU (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

I think a lot of this Forum's post on issues can be avoided if you don't buy an abused, cheap, and barely maintained LR.

I've got 4 LR's (within the last year I've owned 7) and all of them with the exception of one were in actually great shape and needed nothing but just normal maintenance items.

The LR I'm most proud of is my 02 Kalahari with 226K on it. Poor thing was for sale for nearly 6 months and it went on/off CL several times and each time I thought it was sold and gone for good. When in truth the guy selling it never got a single serious offer and the ad's kept expiring on CL. He said people either wanted to low ball him down to 2K (he was asking 4.5K) or they were totally turned off by 221K.

I finally got a hold of him, and yeah I was skeptical at first on it's condition until I was maybe 8 houses down from it driving down his street. It looked absolutely beautiful. He ran inside and got the keys. The engine was stone cold and he said he hadn't honestly cranked it or moved it in several months. I was excited because we'd really get to see how it cranked and sounded. It turned over kinda weak, but fired right up smooth as silk without any tapping or weird sounds. It was a legit and well maintained Kalahari. He'd done nothing but LR service on it and it showed. Only issues were a torn drivers seat cushion, and really saggy coil springs. I gave the man his asking price and I've been happy and trouble free ever since!

Some people would say I was insane to pay 4.5K for an 02 D2 that is nothing more than a D2 with yellow paint.... Well I say kiss my (_!_). I love LR Special Edition vehicles especially in yellow (previously owned an AA Yellow Range Rover Vitesse) and 4.5K was worth every penny especially on how it was maintained and treated. I love driving it especially past Jeeps at 80MPH when I know they're probably to the floor at 65-70MPH and to see people reactions like OMG what is that vehicle??? D1/D2's have a very unique and beautiful shape to them vs other SUV's out there.

P.S. If I sell my H3 Alpha I'd truly love either another 02 Kalahari (in White) or an 04 G4. I've been looking but none have popped up yet.

Last edited by Best4x4; 08-05-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I think a lot of this Forum's post on issues can be avoided if you don't buy an abused, cheap, and barely maintained LR.

I've got 4 LR's (within the last year I've owned 7) and all of them with the exception of one were in actually great shape and needed nothing but just normal maintenance items.

The LR I'm most proud of is my 02 Kalahari with 226K on it. Poor thing was for sale for nearly 6 months and it went on/off CL several times and each time I thought it was sold and gone for good. When in truth the guy selling it never got a single serious offer and the ad's kept expiring on CL. He said people either wanted to low ball him down to 2K (he was asking 4.5K) or they were totally turned off by 221K.

I finally got a hold of him, and yeah I was skeptical at first on it's condition until I was maybe 8 houses down from it driving down his street. It looked absolutely beautiful. He ran inside and got the keys. The engine was stone cold and he said he hadn't honestly cranked it or moved it in several months. I was excited because we'd really get to see how it cranked and sounded. It turned over kinda weak, but fired right up smooth as silk without any tapping or weird sounds. It was a legit and well maintained Kalahari. He'd done nothing but LR service on it and it showed. Only issues were a torn drivers seat cushion, and really saggy coil springs. I gave the man his asking price and I've been happy and trouble free ever since!

Some people would say I was insane to pay 4.5K for an 02 D2 that is nothing more than a D2 with yellow paint.... Well I say kiss my (_!_). I love LR Special Edition vehicles especially in yellow (previously owned an AA Yellow Range Rover Vitesse) and 4.5K was worth every penny especially on how it was maintained and treated. I love driving it especially past Jeeps at 80MPH when I know they're probably to the floor at 65-70MPH and to see people reactions like OMG what is that vehicle??? D1/D2's have a very unique and beautiful shape to them vs other SUV's out there.

P.S. If I sell my H3 Alpha I'd truly love either another 02 Kalahari (in White) or an 04 G4. I've been looking but none have popped up yet.
True, true.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
4 you must love Rovers or have masochistic tendancies

I know a good psychiatrist
......and wait until I spot a G4 or a Kalahari!

( I totally screwed up and missed a Kalahari for $3500)....