Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed steering shake/jerk with new tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fixed steering shake/jerk with new tires

This wont be a fix for everyone, but thought it could help someone with a similar setup and issue.

My D2 had some worn tires when I bought it. They were Continental CrossContact SSR UHP run-flats. Though they were not quite down to the wear bar, they definitely needed replacing, but I held off for a few months as I was not sure if the engine would hold up.

In that time, I would get a bit of a shake in the steering when going over certain bumps/holes at mid to high speeds. Also, when changing lanes on the freeway or simply having one tire go over a different surface (ex: concrete to asphalt) the steering wheel would jerk in the direction of the new surface. It was not a safe situation.

Now that the engine has proven to be sound enough (knock on wood) and with winter coming it was time to address the issue. I figured I would have to replace all sorts of steering and suspension components, but started with tires as they definitely needed to be done. Got a new set of Cooper Discoverer+ and holy cow what a difference.

Through 2 weeks all the weird behavior is gone. The Pepboys guys said those run-flats had sidewalls about 3" thick and needed 2 prybars to get them off the rim. I assume that was part, if not all, of the handling issues.

Anyways, heads up to be careful of run-flat tires on a D2