Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing M and S lights '01 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing M and S lights '01 Discovery

The car starts and goes in to gear, but won't move forward. I can go in reverse and the tires will rotate just fine. I caused the issue as the car was stuck and I was moving it from forward to reverse too quickly. I'm going to have it towed to the shop. Before I go I'd like to get some info on what the issue might be and how much it might cost.

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might not need a switch but rather just an adjustment of the switch,
2 screws hold it on, Set E brake, put the shifter in neutral ( a helper is a good thing here)then turn on the key to position II then see if the N lights up in the display once this is done then go through the gears and see if they also indicate the correct positions.
You might just a slight adjustment of the lever arm or the cable ,
the XYZ switch is on the left side of the transmission.
If this fails then a new switch is needed, from searching around you can find a switch for about 70.00 search for XYZ switch

Last edited by Mrmerlin; 12-20-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If your "M" and "S" lights are flashing your battery voltage is to low and the transmission ECU wont work and the transmission goes into "limp mode"
You can still drive it, but it will only be in 3rd gear, so to move forward you will have to floor it.
Charge your battery and then have the charging system tested.

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (04-28-2016)
Old 12-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Mudding

+1 Battery

Old 12-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Drifting

Also check the wires to the battery terminals, sometimes they get loose and cause the low voltage problem and hence the transmission snags

Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Overlanding

I checked the battery and it had a lot of white powder around it. I guess it's some acid residue. I changed the battery and I'm still having the problem. The "check engine" light is on and the M and S lights are flashing. I'm going tot take it to the shop. Could there be any other issues beside the xyz switch? I just want to go there with as much information as possible. I don't want to get sold something I don't need.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Save your self some money, go rent a scanner from a local parts store, read your codes and get back to us. If there is an internal tranny problem, the last thing you want to do is tow it to a shop, dealer or small shop till you know what they will charge to install a remanufactured tranny if needed.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ctk111
I checked the battery and it had a lot of white powder around it. I guess it's some acid residue. I changed the battery and I'm still having the problem. The "check engine" light is on and the M and S lights are flashing. I'm going tot take it to the shop. Could there be any other issues beside the xyz switch? I just want to go there with as much information as possible. I don't want to get sold something I don't need.

Thanks.
There are 3 things that it could be.
Low battery voltage.
Bad XYZ switch.
Bad transmission computer.

That being said this is all assuming that you have checked the fluid level.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Overlanding

This ordeal has been epic. Mechanic finally got around to looking at it and says I need a new transmission. The warranty company has agreed to replace the transmission with a used one. The mechanic says he knows of a 4.0 with 65k on it for $1250 and a 4.6 with 23K on it for $1500. I found a rebuilt one at Roverland Parts for $1350. I'm leaning towards the rebuilt transmission, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Roverland transmissions Any recommendations?

Also, the mechanic suggested I replace the drive shaft at this time. Is this something I should do or can it wait? If I replace it would you go with new or rebuilt?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they pull the code for the tranny? What was it?

A bad WXYZ switch with throw a check engine light plus give you the flashing M and S. It will also cause gear changing issues. It's a $125 part used.

Roverland is probably the best place for used Rover parts and I've had good luck with everything I've bought from them.

The mechanic might mean that you should rebuild/replace the front drive shaft so that it has greasable joints. The sealed joints will bake over time and fail, causing it to potentially break and take your tranny with it.

Quick Reply: Flashing M and S lights '01 Discovery