Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing M and S lights '01 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m and s lights flashing

Hello, about 2 weeks ago my 02 land rover discovery started to go into homelimp mode with the m, s and d lights flashing. Here is what I have done ifanyone else has any other suggestions that would be great.

I have checked the battery, alternator, I made an adjustment to the selectorlever, and I have replaced the XYZ (inhibitor switch). I did take it to amechanic and he right away told me the transmission was bad and wanted tocharge me 5800 to replace it. I wanted to know if anyone else has run into thisproblem and if so you have any other suggestions. I did take it to auto zoneand they ran the codes and came up with p1412 and p0722.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Old 10-04-2013, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear
Default i having some what same issues

ok im working on my lrd2 and I gone threw every thing only code I have is p0722 here is what I done check so on new battery correct voltage out put so on alt checks out good charging is 14+ changed the xyz switch checked tire psi there all at 40 changed tranny fluid and yes filled to the right levels also cleaned and replaced mas
here is my problem when driving the car it shift very hard into 2/3 gears probly shifts at 2500 rpm when it does a few seconds later the m + s light flash and car goes in to limp mode it does this no matter If it is cold or hot check engine light comes on after a little and only code is p0722 but if you drive the car slowly and try to hold it under 3000 rpm the car doesn't have shift and the lights don't come on but getting n e where is very annoying I checked all the terminals and every thing is tight and clean tranny fuild is red and filled yes I know how to check the tranny on this car what else could I be missing and if so how do I test it she only has 61k on here and the only other issues is the oil tranny temp light is on and wont go off im sure its a faulty switch it stays on after a cold start up this happened after the car over heated but the over heating issues was fixed and the air ride suspension is bad so the car is sitting low in the back that's the little light bottom left coner when the truck is sitting *** down help please

Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Mudding

just a thought to all looking at m&s lights.. I had them after having the battery disconnected for three weeks doing the heads.. truck ran fine and all was good but the lights. I charged the battery..no luck. cleared codes from my ultra gauge and never came back.. a simple clearing of the codes after a new battery might straighten it out

Old 10-05-2013, 03:44 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

The original poster noted white crud on his battery terminals.
This is sulfuric acid which is leeching up BETWEEN the terminals and the plastic battery casing

When batteries are in this condition of decay, I replace them ASAP.
Evenually that acid will run down the sides and rot the battery tray.

$110 Walmart - just do it.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah I check the battery it has a fresh new one even put some jelly so it doesn't build up any thing battery isn't the problem n e more ideas does any one know how to check the silonoids or how to change the shift points cause 3200rpm is kidna high to shift gears and I all reready tried to adjust the kick down cable no change

Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Mudding

Thanks for all that responded to this thread! The girl borrowed the truck yesterday and tells me the M and S lights are flashing. of course my first reaction is "what did she do to it this time?!" So I brush it off and take it out this morning to work since we got about 6" of snow last night and its not shifting into first gear...it feels like its bogged down off the line. Sure enough M and S lights are still flashing. Temps dropped down to 5 degrees last night so i figure its the battery. I'm going to put it on the charger and see what i get tomorrow.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

80% of the time the lights are cause by poor charging battery or alternator or bad body grounds.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Mudding

Funny that you mention that. I took the battery (w the truck) back to the place i bought it (Advance Auto Parts) and they said that it needed a charge. I drove it for 32 miles this morning and it still did not recharge. so anyways, when we went to go test the battery (since they can't take it back if all it requires is a charge), the terminal clamps slipped right off....I wonder if the ground needs to be tightened....

Old 01-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Mudding

put a brand new battery in yesterday and M and S lights are gone. Thx all!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

m& s mode lights are on

Quick Reply: Flashing M and S lights '01 Discovery