Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing M&S lights - problem does not seem to go away.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing M&S lights - problem does not seem to go away.

Yesterday, I changed the serpentine belt. I have checked and double-checked this, and I don't see a problem. Everything looks to have been done correctly. That is, the alternator should be charging the battery.

I drove it to work (about 10-15 miles) with no issues. Then, when starting it up a few hours later, the M&S lights start flashing. The car is in "limp home" mode, and RPMs are higher than normal. However, nothing leading up to this has led me to believe that there is a transmission issue. That is, no "jerky" shifting. I think the "limp home" mode is keeping me in 3rd the whole time though. Reverse works fine.

I have started and re-started the car, and it doesn't seem to make the problem go away. However, there are no issues with starting the car either. That is, I don't have the feeling that the battery is about to die.

The battery is about 3 years old, and Mexican. When I changed my plugs and wires a few weeks ago, there was major corrosion on the terminal.

The lights flashing immediately, upon start-up, after the car had been off for a few hours (probably 4-5), leads me to believe that transmission fluid temperature is not the culprit, although I could be wrong. I do know that there is a slightly-leaky seal on the transmission oil pan, but again, I've been on the lookout for a weird feel from the transmission, and I have not had one so far.

Yes, I know this topic has probably been discussed. I wanted to get specific advice for my exact situation.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Flashing M&S lights - problem does not seem to go away.

http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/s...routing_D2.cfm
Your belt is routed like one of these? It is VERY easy to route the belt wrong on a Disco, it will look right but if it is wrong the alternator will not charge properly.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go have your local auto parts store do a battery/alternator load test to rule this out.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Three Wheeling

So I checked the Mexican battery (I don't mean it says "made in mexico" on it; I mean my buddy, who I bought the car from, lived in Mexico, so this is probably a piece of crap), and it is guaranteed for 36 months. So it is about out of warranty.

It still seems like too much of a coincidence that I just changed the belt, and suddenly, I'm having electrical problems. I'll check the belt again tomorrow when its light, and then I'll go to the auto parts store and have them check the alternator/battery.

The thing starts up with no problem, and the belt is definitely turning the alternator. In my experience with failing batteries, they tend to go downhill in a hurry. You'll see a sign of failure (e.g., hard to start), and it will be finished by the next day.

Is this something that will produce an error code that they can read at the auto parts store?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Then don't listen to us and do what you want. By the way, you may have a 3 year warranty, but usually batteries with 36 month warrantys are very light duty and you will only get a couple dollars credit towards another one.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Wow you are sensitive. I wasn't trying to argue. I was just trying to be as specific as possible about my problem.

Anyway, new battery seems to clear up the problem. Thanks for the advice.