Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid disposal

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've found Autozone will take my old engine oil. And Jiffy Lube will take coolant. Which really surprised me, because i didnt know they changed coolant. I've always changed my own oil and coolant.

I've always combined transmission fluid and power steering with engine oil. I figured they were just different base stocks and viscosity differences.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
What Spike said, plus - my Safety Kleene charges next to nothing for oil, but add fuel to it (diesel, stale gasoline) and that becomes a more expensive product to ship and hanldle. About $6 a gallon to get rid of salt water contaminated fuel from a boat (80 - 150 gallons at a time).... and don't even think of putting that krud in your truck or lawn mower.
The reason it costs more to take that is because it cannot be recycled, it must be sent straight to the incinerator.

There is a trick to getting water out of fuel Buzz, you need to put the water contaminated fuel into a container, let it settle for a week and then freeze it.
Then while it is still frozen pour out the fuel, the water will remain at the bottom of the drum.
Water weighs in around 8lbs a gal and petroleum is 6lbs per gal.
Thats why oil floats ontop of water, it is lighter.

If you want to see a cool experiment mix water and oil in a clear container, shake it and mix it up well, see how cloudy it is?
Then let it sit on a shelf, watch it separate.
Then stick it in your freezer, let it freeze over night and pour out the oil.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep, but I don't have freezer big enough for 80 gallons plus of salt water / boat gas at a time, and our environmental health and safety department will have none of it. And I can expect temps under 28 degrees maybe two days a year...

But that makes life easy for your small boat owners, leave tanks outside, when frozen, pour off the gas, take tank in warm area, ice warms up, pour it off into soemthing else.

Safety Kleene won't pump the gas either, so I had to buy a pump for that. They will pump oil.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They cant pump gas, it is hazardous material, they cant pump HAZ, they can only pump waste fluids.
And believe it or not used oil and coolant is not considered hazardous.
Our vacuum truck had to be shut down half way through a job because someone had dumped about 20 gal of paint waste into the drain that was being vacuumed out.
That created a very serious HAZMAT situation, the truck could have exploded from all of the fumes not to mention it could not be disposed of.

Running the vacuum truck was fun, 30,000psi...it will suck the grass right out of the ground.
It will literally pull your arm off your body.
It was fun.
Set the parking brake, engage the PTO, set the throttle at 1500rpm, watch the PSI gauge and once it reaches 30kpsi open the valve and watch the carnage.
You really needed to have control of your hose.