Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid drops on bottom of front shock

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sdhow
My '03 seems to sit about 1/2" to 3/4" lower in the front on the right than on the left side, measuring from the top of the tire to the fender flare. I don't see a leak, but this could've happened prior to my purchase. Is this most likely a bad shock, or could it be something else?

It does have ACE, but I didn't think that had anything to do with what I'm seeing.
You need to ensure all of your tires are pumped up correctly to the right pressures. When measuring it should be done on a 'board' flat surface like a garage floor. The V8 front springs, unlike the TD5, are biased and the drivers side is fractionally longer than the passenger side so in action with a driver only it sits level (that's the theory). So check your tyre pressures, ensure you are on a very flat level surface put an average person in the drivers seat circa 150lbs and then measure from the floor directly on the wheel centreline to the bottom edge of the fender. In theory it should be equal measurements both sides. If there is a large discrepency and you are still running the original springs maybe they are now 'tired' and past their sell by date, similarly the shocks. The shocks shouldn't affect ride height stationary as the truck is loaded onto the springs only at that point. The only time the shocks come into play is when you jack the bodywork up and the full extension of the shocks limits the droop on the axle. Hence, you never jack up the rear bodywork without the shock fitted if you have air springs (SLS) or you'll ruin/rip the airspring(s) out of it's seating(s).................. comprenez vous.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah...oui! That makes sense. Thanks for explaining it.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:39 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Thanks for the info.

I was sent the TF lines by mistake from L8 but I sent them back to get the Goodridge. I think they are the exact same lines (same yellow tag for the name and everything) just a different name and a little cheaper. They probably would have worked just fine but I wanted the Goodridge name for some reason and I'm willing to wait longer and pay a little extra to get them. Maybe the Rover is driving me insane.
I managed to kill a TF ss line that dusty gave me, you need to ensure no rubbing!!!!

Also bought the Goodridge set and then realized under TF on their old website they had the cheaper line kit. Spares ftw!
Also if it was a pin hole, I'd imagine you would have the pedal hit the floor at least once. Not a good feeling for sure.

Heads up, the banjo bolt didn't fit the brass spacers so I reused the old ones.