Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush Power Steering System

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

It's not really messy if you hold the hose in a bucket or can

Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
It's not really messy if you hold the hose in a bucket or can
Cool, thanks!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After replacing my power steering pump and a hose, I tried the method Spike555 recommended and just wanted to share my results to help anyone reading this thread decide between the "pump it out" method of flushing versus the "siphon it out with a turkey baster" method.

I flushed what I suspect was ATF based on color (red) and smell, replacing it with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic power steering fluid, which is a crystal clear fluid. I thought it'd be easy enough to tell when the old fluid was out since the color difference is so dramatic.

I extended the return hose with an adapter and a 6 foot length of 3/8 inch ID clear tubing to a gallon jug. With a second person turning the wheel to lock to and fro, I added fresh fluid to the reservoir as the pump did its thing.

First, let me say, the pump will suck through a quart of fluid in no time flat. It was very difficult to keep the reservoir filled, as the pump sucks it down almost as fast as you can pour it in. I had purchased the recommended 4 quarts to do the flush, but the fluid coming out was nowhere near clear after using all of that. 3 GALLONS of fluid later (that's about $75 worth and another 2 trips to AutoZone), I gave up all hope of the system running clear and called it good enough. I was pretty committed to a complete flush but I'm not rich or stupid.

My guess is that with either method, it's incredibly difficult to remove every trace of old fluid—you pros out there can confirm this. Yet, based on how much fluid I wasted, I think I probably could have arrived at the same results with less fluid using the more controllable siphon method (you're at the mercy of the pump's flow rate with the pump method).

Overall, I'm confident that I've got mostly fresh fluid in there, and I suppose the remaining red tinge can be useful in identifying any future leaks (fingers crossed). Thanks to all for the advice that's in this and other threads and apologies for reviving this thread. I felt an additional testimony was in order since my experience with the pump method was NOT the slam dunk some people made it out to be.

Last edited by joshjellel; 02-24-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by joshjellel
After replacing my power steering pump and a hose, I tried the method Spike555 recommended and just wanted to share my results to help anyone reading this thread decide between the "pump it out" method of flushing versus the "siphon it out with a turkey baster" method.

I flushed what I suspect was ATF based on color (red) and smell, replacing it with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic, which is a crystal clear fluid. I thought it'd be easy enough to tell when the old fluid was out since the color difference is so dramatic.

I extended the return hose with an adapter and a 6 foot length of 3/8 inch ID clear tubing to a gallon jug. With a second person turning the wheel to lock to and fro, I added fresh fluid to the reservoir as the pump did its thing.

First, let me say, the pump will suck through a quart of fluid in no time flat. It was very difficult to keep the reservoir filled, as the pump sucks it down almost as fast as you can pour it in. I had purchased the recommended 4 quarts to do the flush, but the fluid coming out was nowhere near clear after using all of that. 3 GALLONS of fluid later (that's about $75 worth and another 2 trips to AutoZone), I gave up all hope of the system running clear and called it good enough. I was pretty committed to a complete flush but I'm not rich or stupid.

My guess is that with either method, it's incredibly difficult to remove every trace of old fluid—you pros out there can confirm this. Yet, based on how much fluid I wasted, I think I probably could have arrived at the same results with less fluid using the more controllable siphon method (you're at the mercy of the pump's flow rate with the pump method).

Overall, I'm confident that I've got mostly fresh fluid in there, and I suppose the remaining red tinge can be useful in identifying any future leaks (fingers crossed). Thanks to all for the advice that's in this and other threads and apologies for reviving this thread. I felt an additional testimony was in order since my experience with the pump method was NOT the slam dunk some people made it out to be.
Your DI takes Dexron III in the power steering, same as your transmission.
There is no need to turn the steering wheel from side to side, thats only needed when flushing a rack and pinion type of steering set up.
You WILL ruin the steering box by running power steering fluid in it.
I use Valvoline MaxLife Dexron III in my power steering system, it helps stop/prevent leaks.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With all due respect—you've got a lot of good advice on many topics which is why I tried your method first—I've done the research and was just reporting back here with my experience from the garage. I'm posting in a DII thread because I have a DII. Power steering fluid is fine for DII. Whether mechanically turning the wheel is necessary or not, I'm no engineer and I don't care to study the extensive PAS system write-up in RAVE (I skimmed it), but I can say anecdotally that even when the fluid seemed to be pumping out clear/new, more old fluid kept coming out when the steering box was in action, so I'm inclined to think it is necessary to flush out the nooks and crannies of the system (increased resistance = increased pressure = increased flushing action). I might be persuaded to believe that turning the wheel during a flush on a DII actually inhibits or interferes with purging the old fluid and that's what I was witnessing, but I've never seen anyone anywhere even hint at that.

Again, not looking to dredge up an old thread or start debate. Just wanted to enrich the thread with a report of someone who tried the method recommended in answer to the original question (something I know I would like to see a lot more of in forums).

Last edited by joshjellel; 02-24-2015 at 07:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Leonard Padin (12-16-2019)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My mistake, I thought you posted in the DI secction.
My apology's.