Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel cracking?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

The way it is more apparent on start up, especially when cold, and diminishes as it warms up...an exhaust leak seems more plausible. Which, could be an exhaust leak at exhaust system or head gasket.

Brian.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Mudding
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
Check the nuts holding the Y-pipe to the exhaust manifolds. My driver side was loose when I bought the truck and I had the loud clicking on startup like you describe. Snugged them up and it was nice and quiet.
Hey thanks a lot, I’ll check them out 🤙🏼

Old 06-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Just be careful, they snap very easily. A little heat goes a long way.

Brian.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Mudding

Well I checked both exhaust manifolds and each connection to the lower sections, both seem fine. But man they’re kind of a pain to inspect. Granted the entire exhaust system is covered in surface rust so trying to see if those nuts are loose is a failed attempt. I’ll spray with pb blast and see if the budge.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorCadence
I’ll spray with pb blast and see if the budge.
Before I did that, I would check for leaks with some soapy water. I used a shop vac that also serves as a blower. Regular leaf blower would work as well. I used a vac hose and shop rag and stuffed one end in the tailpipe, other end connected to the blower. Turn it on and take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray each connection. If you have a leak, it will show up quickly.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Red5
Before I did that, I would check for leaks with some soapy water. I used a shop vac that also serves as a blower. Regular leaf blower would work as well. I used a vac hose and shop rag and stuffed one end in the tailpipe, other end connected to the blower. Turn it on and take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray each connection. If you have a leak, it will show up quickly.
thats a great idea. I’ve got a shop vac that’s also a blower. So you stuffed the rag around the hosing inside the tailpipe to create a tighter fit? Confused on the rags purpose.

Ive done this method before checking for vacuum leaks on my old 4Runner. Used a garden hose and painters taped it around and around each connecting end. Then put the vacuum as far away inside the back of the house to be able hear for leaks without noise pollution from the vac.

Last edited by TaylorCadence; 06-21-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:11 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, the rag is just to fill the difference between the small diameter vac hose and the larger tailpipe.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
My engine needed main, rod and cam bearings.
It ticked loudly as it warmed up, the oil pump gears were broken too.
The sound seemed to come mostly from the driver's side rear of the engine. After replacing the oil pump, as well as lifters, the noise remained, leading me to belive I had a slipped liner, which it did not. I also thought it may be the flex plate, but that was good too.
I expected a knock, not a tick, given the problem.
My 4.6 has 122k miles, ran excellent, and did not heat, it just made a come and go racket.
Pull the rod caps, and look up at your cam bearings too.
I'm not saying they are definately the problem, but it is very possible, and would not be uncommon for these engines. Not a terrible job to do either.
hmmm i havnt done the soap/ water/ blower test yet but I just started the truck this morning and now I’m lead to believe it may be one of these related points. That’s exactly the location where mines coming from. The fast clicking noise is now way quieter than prior to the oil change. Damn cars just tell us what’s wrong with you!

Last edited by TaylorCadence; 06-22-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Mudding

Dang it’s sounding just like a diesel right now. Td5 conversion in the making? Hah

Old 06-23-2018, 05:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I've found the tick can sometimes be the valve rockets. Theres a little hole that gets clogged.

We had a tick, I disassembled the engine in 2013 to do the head gaskets and found some of the holes clogged. Cleaned the holes and tick is no longer there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flywheel cracking?