Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foul smelling heat and A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 10:38 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I'm not sure a 2012 RR Sport has the same AC drain system as a D2 but it sure sounds like clogged drains.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:16 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicole Morton Cockerham
i bought my mom’s 2012 Land Rover Sport only 75K miles. Excellent condition although when it rains the AC spells just like cat.... we changed the cabin air filter but could not find the AC drain to shoot the cleaner up into. Anyone know what we can do to solve this major issue without having to spend a fortune at the dealership?
You can remove the cabin air filters (again) and spray a full can of lysol aerosol spray (or product of your choice) into the air tracts. You mainly want to aim for the air tract leading down towards the evaporator, you can use the arrows on your cabin air filter as a guide if you're not sure which way to spray. There are also products available (foam like) that you spray directly into the air vents of your car. The drains that are clogged are most likely the ones underneath the vehicle, you just want to clear these out so water can freely flow out. No point in trying to spray anything in them. There are small tubes/nipples/elbows that get clogged up with dirt. I can't say for sure with your model, but most cars have them running down near the transmission.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicole Morton Cockerham
i bought my mom’s 2012 Land Rover Sport only 75K miles. Excellent condition although when it rains the AC spells just like cat.... we changed the cabin air filter but could not find the AC drain to shoot the cleaner up into. Anyone know what we can do to solve this major issue without having to spend a fortune at the dealership?
You can remove the cabin air filters (again) and spray a full can of lysol aerosol spray (or product of your choice) into the air tracts. You mainly want to aim for the air tract leading down towards the evaporator, you can use the arrows on your cabin air filter as a guide if you're not sure which way to spray. There are also products available (foam like) that you spray directly into the air vents of your car. The drains that are clogged are most likely the ones underneath the vehicle, you just want to clear these out so water can freely flow out. No point in trying to spray anything in them. There are small tubes/nipples/elbows that get clogged up with dirt. I can't say for sure with your model, but most cars have them running down near the transmission.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue in my 2008 LR3 HSE since I bought it from the previous owner. I followed the advice below, but using this product:
Amazon Amazon
. I accessed the drain off of the passenger footwell, confirmed that the rubber hose was draining under the car by pouring a small amount of water in the hose. I then ran the hose toward the evaporator and emptied the can. Following the instructions, I let it sit there for 20 minutes and then ran the fan for 20 minutes. There was a small amount of white liquid (1-2 oz) in the pan I placed under the drain. I let the car sit overnight. When I ran the fan the next day, I can smell a much worse smell, so much so that we had to drive with the fan off.

Any ideas for what might have gone wrong? Could some of the foam/liquid be stuck somewhere in the evaporator core?

Originally Posted by Alphamale
Not an uncommon problem and is caused by mildew and mould forming in the moist atmosphere of the a/c system. You need something like this Amazon.com: Interdynamics 760 Auto Air Conditioner A/C and Heater Duct Cleaner - 4 oz.: Automotive
to clean and disinfect it.