Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C is cold and fan is running on high, but not much air coming through the vents

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A/C is cold and fan is running on high, but not much air coming through the vents

Thinking that the doors and flaps that control where the air flow goes are either electric or vacuum servo actuated and that I have one not working. Very little air flow through any of the mid dash level AC vents with the fan on high.

Suggestions?

Brian in Austin

Old 10-14-2016, 09:49 PM
Winching

anyone else experienced this?

Old 10-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
anyone else experienced this?
I have! Yes! I throw my blower motor on max speed and I can only feel a fraction of what I feel with the rear vents. Just a run-down of what is going on in my Disco and may be the same in yours,

Front Head level Vents Compromised
Front Foot level vents not compromised
Any of the rear vents not compromised

It's been like that ever since I bought the Disco, but never got around to doing anything about since I thought it involved taking the fascia off.

Would love to get some more input on this. Thanks

Old 10-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It sounds like either the A/C - heater clack flaps are stuck or the foam seal has blocked the airflow. I assume you have run the full cycle of A/C direction options via the control buttons? Turn the mid and rear cab A/C to off and hopefully the additional air pressure may release the front flaps OK albeit the rear is a completely separate system apart from the A/C gas.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:23 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
It sounds like either the A/C - heater clack flaps are stuck or the foam seal has blocked the airflow. I assume you have run the full cycle of A/C direction options via the control buttons? Turn the mid and rear cab A/C to off and hopefully the additional air pressure may release the front flaps OK albeit the rear is a completely separate system apart from the A/C gas.
No rear air on this one.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:25 AM
Winching

No rear air on this one.
I can hear something like a piece of paper flapping around when I turn the system on,......dont know where one would get in,......Anyone know if there is access to any areas where there might be a piece of papper trapped??

Old 10-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Anyone know if there is access to any areas where there might be a piece of papper trapped??
Remove the fiberboard cover between the globe box and the firewall, it's secured with a few plastic anchors. Then you will see the housing for the blower. There are 3 bolts to remove and the blower will drop down.

The paper may be trapped in the squirrel cage. Also, with the blower removed you should have access to a few of the flaps. You can check for damage/blockage.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Red5
Remove the fiberboard cover between the globe box and the firewall, it's secured with a few plastic anchors. Then you will see the housing for the blower. There are 3 bolts to remove and the blower will drop down.

The paper may be trapped in the squirrel cage. Also, with the blower removed you should have access to a few of the flaps. You can check for damage/blockage.

Thanks, Ill check it out.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

With my old jeep it was a mouse's nest. Spent a few years filtering the air past his dried up corpse before I figured that one out…

Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Winching
Default Fan was full of leaves

Well what sounded like paper was actually the squirrel cage being completely full of small live oak leaves. Much more air flow now with the AC on, but still blows partially through all the vents all the time.

Last edited by bcolins; 12-04-2017 at 09:47 PM.