Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found Sunroof leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Found Sunroof leak

So, I had my headliner out of the D2, doing some maintenance and stuff, and it happened to rain. Perfect! here's my opportunity to figure out where water has been getting through; I've blown out the drains and fixed a broken drain nipple, but still had leaks. So, I park on a slight incline and I know that the drains are towards the front, which makes the water fill up in the back of the sunroof gutter. One would expect the water would run to the front and drain, which I'm sure it does, but I caught the leak in the act; it was leaking at the plastic clips that protrude through the bottom of the gutter (arrow in pic). So now I'm going to seal the clips with some silicon/RTV and that should take care of it. I've never heard anyone mention this before as something to check; that's why I'm posting what I found, so others will know what to look for if they have the same issue.

Attached Thumbnails Found Sunroof leak-sunroof-leak.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Externet (11-27-2019)
Old 11-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by wjsj69
So, I had my headliner out of the D2, doing some maintenance and stuff, and it happened to rain. Perfect! here's my opportunity to figure out where water has been getting through; I've blown out the drains and fixed a broken drain nipple, but still had leaks. So, I park on a slight incline and I know that the drains are towards the front, which makes the water fill up in the back of the sunroof gutter. One would expect the water would run to the front and drain, which I'm sure it does, but I caught the leak in the act; it was leaking at the plastic clips that protrude through the bottom of the gutter (arrow in pic). So now I'm going to seal the clips with some silicon/RTV and that should take care of it. I've never heard anyone mention this before as something to check; that's why I'm posting what I found, so others will know what to look for if they have the same issue.
It's a common problem with most D2's. It's a complete sunroof removal and clean and reseal around the plastic roof trim. LR have issued a bulletin on the specific subject.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:15 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

In what Chapter did you find the solution to this problem?

The following 4 users liked this post by OverRover:
alfa63 (12-19-2019), boston4 (11-27-2019), JUKE179r (11-29-2019), wjsj69 (11-22-2017)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:18 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

Hi mate. Did that work? I'm having the exact same problem. I took the headliner off and I found the leak exactly where yours was leaking. Not sure how to fix it.

Originally Posted by wjsj69

Old 11-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Winching
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

I found the same issue last week.

Here is how I solved it. After I did this fix I left the headliner down and let it rain the next day. No water leaked.

Option 1
Remove trim pieces to let rear half of headliner hand down.
Remove the sunroof motor
Unscrew the 14 torx screws that holds the bottom half of sunroof to the top half.
Removed top half of the sunroof off the roof of the truck.
You will see the attachment points for the mesh sunscreen and the openings the water goes seeps out of. Basically if the truck were not on a slope the water would not get to the openings.
Put a piece of tape under the openings on the bottom of the sunroof tray. Fill up the space from above with silicone.
Put everything back together.

Option 2
I did not do this but it may work.

Remove trim
Have headliner hand down.
Fill openings with silicone
Reattached everything

Also, a good time to put a bead of silicone on the roof before replacing the sunroof glass.

Note: remove the negative lead on the battery before doing this job.

When you are removing or reinstalling the rear dome light the metal from one of the screw locations can arch and blow out fuse #20 and your ODB2 port and key fob won't work. I learned this the hard way.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (04-06-2020)
Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for posting this.
Can the image on post #1 be described, please ?
Example: Being the passenger side rear corner of the front sunroof, from below, with removed ceiling liner, rolling shade extended ?
I have trouble picturing it
The phrase "park on a slight incline" meant vehicle front up or front down ? To promote or not draining ? Those two? clips shown, are they white plastic, part of securing what ?
What is the opinion of such circled latch/tab into an opening in the bottom of the water collecting tray (if I understand the image properly) ... Land Rover genius ?

Are those notches/holes also in other places (L&R; F&R) ? Any pictures of such notches/holes from above the sunroof available somewhere in the forum ?

Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 414 Likes on 266 Posts

Sealing up that spot isn't fixing the real problem, which is water getting into the tray in the first place. It comes enters only two ways...

1. The seal the glass seats against. Clean this off often with warm water and treat with gummipledge. If it's dirty, it will leak.
2. The seal between the plastic frame and the roof. This is fixed by removing the sunroof (easy once the headliner is off, like 15 minutes and it's out), and running a phat bead of silicone around the opening in the roof. Drop the sunroof back in and you should be all good.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi.
Found another write-up about fixing leaks. Worth adding to the collection...
----> https://do-it-up.com/vehicles/body-e...-your-sunroof/