Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front cross member

Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default front cross member

So have been having this back and forth wit a few friends and would like to extend the opinions.
Does the front cross member need to be on or can you run your truck without it. does your answer change if you have lifted the truck along with tires bumpers etc. thanks for your thoughts.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It has to be there or you can twist the frame. Why would you want to take it off unless you are installing a strong steel bumper that might add strength to the frame?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Lots of people run without them... but I'm going to just make some spacers.

RTE sells them, but for the price.... I should be able to do my own... maybe not from aluminum, but I think some 1-by-something steel should work fine.

http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page...category_id=13

Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want to run without them? Doesn't it keep the frame from twisting?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you lift your truck you need to add spacers so that the front drive shaft does not hit.
So peope a lazy and just remove it or as Mike said if you have real good bumper it will do the same thing.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
It has to be there or you can twist the frame. Why would you want to take it off unless you are installing a strong steel bumper that might add strength to the frame?
Hoping I could revive this old thread real quick...

Doing the Terrafirma 2" coil/strut kit install in my driveway and now need to either 1) remove front DS or 2) remove the cross member.

Disco Mike - You say a steel bumper would provide the same stiffness? Because I have the steel bumper w/winch mount installed currently and if this is the case, I won't feel as bad removing/cutting it out.

Also, it seems I would need spacers for the cross member anyhow to get the full increase in lift or the DS will hit the cross member...

Old 09-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Get the spacers. It also prevents the car from pogo-sticking on the driveshaft if it explodes. And it's decent protection for off-roading.... don't want to hit the driveshaft.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

Well, Disco Mike isn't around the forum any more and frankly he doesn't have the engineering background to make that call. I pretty firmly disagree with him considering how far away the front bumper is from that cross bar on the frame.

Keep the front cross member and get or make some spacers. Like Jeff said, it also provides some good undercarriage protection and keeps you from going pogo stick and also trashing the rest of your drive train if the driveshaft fails.

I recommend getting a bolt extractor for the bolts holding it on and then getting some grade 8 bolts of the same thread size from the hardware store. Then get some 1/2" plate and make your own spacers for it. 1sq' is like $30 at Lowe's. Cut it to size with and angle grinder and then drill the holes for the bolts to slide through. Make 2 for each side and buy bolts 1" or 30mm longer than factory.

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-16-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Lol...this has been debated year after year. Miss you Disco Mike...not

Don't worry about retaining it, most people ditch it. I never had an issue after years of offroading without it.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Lol...this has been debated year after year. Miss you Disco Mike...not

Don't worry about retaining it, most people ditch it. I never had an issue after years of offroading without it.
After fixing the driveshaft carnage on a 100% stock D2 that support DOES NOT help keep the front drive shaft from killing it any differently than without it.

How the shaft breaks & at what speed it breaks free are much bigger factors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front cross member