Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Doors not Unlocking??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:20 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Front Doors not Unlocking??

Front and passenger door in my 01' Disco will no longer unlock via the key. This seems to be common problem as I have searched the forums. Sounds like actuators? need replacing? Im by no means a wrench, so my question is how to save money. Can I take it to my mechanic or is it definitely a dealership fix? Also ar ethere parts I can buy on my own to save money? Thanks in advance .

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:26 AM
Mudding

I have to replace my door actuator on my front passenger side. I'm under the impression that it's not that big of a deal...no need to take it to a dealership. I have a friend who has replaced window regulators (also something I need) and door actuators...I'm hoping to get it done without having to take it in to pay someone 91 bucks an hour plus parts...

Old 01-13-2010 | 12:15 PM
1st Gear

I had to replace the driver door actuator a few weeks ago. It took a couple of hours, and in all it wasn't too difficult. I have the Rave CD. Without the CD, I probably wouldn't have attempted it. Here are some recommendations

1. Do remove the door frame. I got suggestions from both sides of the fence as far as removing the frame, or leaving it on. It was impossible for me to remove the actuator without removing the frame.
2. The door frame and door actuator are attached to the door by some torx bolts. I would get some new ones from the dealership before attempting this repair. My Disco is a 99 and those bolts were a little rusty, and in remvoing them, the torx bolt head were a little stripped afterwards. They are about $2 at the dealership. Very well spent money.

Old 01-13-2010 | 01:04 PM
Rock Crawling

For $49 you can get a power door lock rebuild kit.

http://www.parts-express.com//pe/sho...number=330-013

Just passing this along, haven't tried it.

Supposedly, you can buy the motors to rebuild our stock units from Radio Shack. I'm trying to dig up that old thread because I need to rebuilt mine, too.

Old 01-13-2010 | 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
For $49 you can get a power door lock rebuild kit.

http://www.parts-express.com//pe/sho...number=330-013

Just passing this along, haven't tried it.

Supposedly, you can buy the motors to rebuild our stock units from Radio Shack. I'm trying to dig up that old thread because I need to rebuilt mine, too.
Thats not a rebuild kit for rovers....It is a generic power lock kit.

Old 01-13-2010 | 07:24 PM
Team Owner

Buy used actuators from either www.autosportsunlimited.com or www.roverlandparts.com or off of e-bay.
You can rebuild yours using high speed motors from Radio Shack, you will need a solder iron though.

Old 11-23-2010 | 12:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Buy used actuators from either www.autosportsunlimited.com or www.roverlandparts.com or off of e-bay.
You can rebuild yours using high speed motors from Radio Shack, you will need a solder iron though.

Spike, so this is an old thread I realize, but can you give any more details on rebuilding actuators with Radio Shack high speed motors? Or can anybody else point me in the right direction?