Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front pillar speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front pillar speakers not working

It seems i am no longer getting sound in my speakers up front....the sound works fine in the rear but nothing when faded to the front. I had center console and a pillars off recently and had the windscreen replaced last week but didnt notice when the speakers up front cut out. Not sure if that bit of info is relevant but i figure it might. What would you recommend i test first?

Thanks!

Matt

Old 12-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure which system you have but if it's the Harmon Kardon, here's a wiring guide: 1999-2001 Land Rover Discovery with Harmon Kardon Wiring Information
With everything being dead up front, I would suspect problems with the output from the head unit. You might have an issue at the amp, but the amp is set up with different circuits for each set of drivers. The mids and tweeters (top of the door panel and the A-pillar) are fed off a different circuit than the woofers at the bottom of the door. The input from the head unit for the front right and front left are split into low frequency and high frequency signals before they are amplified.

You can try getting creative and shift the pins around in the harness at the amp to see if there is any output there. Swap the wires for the input from the head unit to the front and the rear on one side and see if you get any sound.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Mudding
Default Pillar speakers not working,

Thanks for the info...yes, i have the harmon kardn system, alpine head. I do get sound up front in the woofers, but nothing on the a pillar speakers or the speaker on top of door panel. Not sure is this is suggestive of anything but would be greatful for any help?

Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok, then your head unit is fine. The drivers in the pillar and the top of the doors are one speaker. There is a capacitor connected in series with the tweeter in the pillar to act as a high pass filter. You may have either cut the wires or disconnected a plug to the wiring up front. They are fed through a harness that runs under the dash. You can find the location of the connectors on RAVE.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Mudding
Default Problem solved - thank you!

04 Duxlr - thanks for helping pinpoint the problem. I took both A posts off and looks as though the speaker wire got crimped against one of the A Post clips on the passenger side. Not sure if these posts were removed when i had my windscreen replaced a couple of weeks ago but this seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks!