Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Geometry Discussion for the Purpose of Understanding

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020 | 01:05 AM
|
Mudding
Default Front Suspension Geometry Discussion for the Purpose of Understanding

Hello everyone,

So here is what I have managed to replace and install thus far on my Front End:

- Installed Lucky 8 Sway bar disconnects
- Replace the Front Drive Shaft with a GRB HD Drive Shaft
- Replaced the factory drag link with the HD TF.
- Replaced the factory track rod with the HD TF.
- Replaced the factory radius arms with corrected angle HD TF with Polybush bushes.

I currently ride on a TF 2" HD lift:

The shocks are TF 146 and TF 147.

I am waiting to install the adjustable panhard rod as I want to verify the offset of the axle due to the lift. Logic would dictate that because the lift was installed to raise the chasis ~ 2 inches and assuming the toe was set correctly after the vehicle was lifted that they adjusted the length of the drag link to be longer and shortened the length of the track rod, thus shifting the axle centering because the factory panhard is not adjustable. Installed prior to purchase with TF146 and T147 shocks with I assume the HD springs. How do I verify the actual ride height of the vehicle and use this to adjust the panhard rod to the optimal length? When I install the adjustable panhard rod do I place jack stands under the chasis frame rails to allow for the suspension to be a full droop? How do I find the optimum radius swing of the panhard rod for on road and off road driveability? Where do the swaybar disconnects come in to place? If I can verify how far the axle is not centered can I adjust the panhard rod accordingly to accomodate for that?

Any information is helpful!

Thanks Everyone,

Gordon

Old 06-07-2020 | 03:18 AM
Rock Crawling

watch this

with car on the ground the front and rear axles should be basically aligned, front to rear, make sure the steering drop bar is in the centred, you can check this out simply by holding a string line and pull it tight across the rear tyre up and across the front tyre if your tracking is correct it will be toe out meaning a small gap on the back of the front tyre 1-2 mm on both sides of the car, if you have a large gap front or rear of the tyre it will indicate the position of your axle, now adjust the panhard rod so the string is of equal distance on both front tyres

Last edited by frostythor; 06-07-2020 at 04:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020 | 06:29 AM
|
Mudding

Dang. Nice Visual. I appreciate that! Makes sense.

Old 06-07-2020 | 07:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Just make sure your string line is across the centre of the wheel , just attached my line to the tow ball, then across the back tyre at the centre of the wheel to the front centre of the wheel,

Old 06-08-2020 | 02:51 AM
|
Mudding

Reporting back some updates. I was able to installed the Panhard with relative ease. I am a dope and also found the Terrafirma insallation instructions for all of their products this evening. DOH. So after taking some measurements. of ride height I noticed that my rear is a bit higher than my front. Most likely due to the stainless steel bumper and winch in the front. So before I make any more adjustments my plan is to install the rear stainless steel HD bumper, rock sliders, and wheel arches. I also want to verify optimal tire pressure for my tires. I checked them the other day and apparently I am running at 60 PSI??? Everything I have seen has people running at around 40 but I generall understand that all tires are different, but that seems high... I am currently on 265/65/18R Iron Man All Country M/T. Does that sound about right? The max PSI is 80. so mabye 60 is right?

Old 06-08-2020 | 04:30 AM
Rock Crawling

why not copy/photo the Terrafirma instruction and post them it may help to decid if they want to do a similar instal you have done

Old 06-30-2020 | 07:45 AM
|
Mudding

That is a great suggestion. Sorry for the late response as it has been crazy at work, and I have spent my free time PB blastin and ripping nuts off. So I was able to install the final "Heavy" items on the Disco, and after it was all said and done my 3" inch Terrafirma pro sport lift I believe is now at about 2". After doing some research and looking around at the front and rear suspension I contacted Simon at RTE on the recommendation of many folks on the forums. Man that dude is knowledgable. I would consider him my Suspension/Armor Plating guy going forward. Unfourtnatelly, upon discussion with Simon it is extremely clear to me that althrough I just updated my stuff with Terrafirma based products, which I consider totally fine, the utilmate goal would be to overtime convert to a more beefy suspension that does not sag. The bottom line to me is that the terrafirma suspension will eventually sag at a faster rate than what Simon and RTE has to offer. Now that doesn't mean that I am going to rip everything out that I just updated. The ultimate plan is to convert it to a dual person mid weight overlanding vehicle with the capability to perform any offroading in the United States. I am pretty stoked now that I have met another knowledgable member of the community that has a plethora of knowledge pertaining to these vehicles that is also in the parts manufacturing business. Along with Bill from GBR Utah I think I have a the resources to strategic plan to update the drivetrain components and differentials to beef cake city based around the future suspension upgrades. That way I can go to all these rock crawler events with you guys so I can pop wheels with my friends.

Here is the fitting instruction glossary offered for TerraFirma. It was super helpful, along with the knoweldge from AB, and you guys on here the installation only took my fiance and I 2 weeks... Seriously, the radius arms took us 2 days to put back 6 bolts. Mostly because we are new to this, and were a couple of bozos sans rachet straps... but we got er done and down to the proffesional alignment shop.

Accessories and Performance Upgrades for Land Rover Vehicles | Terrafirma Serious 4x4 Accessories

Thanks again for all the help folks!

Here is a link to my instagram. I hope this isn't against the rules, but I am sure someone will tell me if it is. There are some pictures on there of my recent trip to the tippy top of Wisconsin and camping on Lake Superior. It was the farthest I have driven her on the highway and she drove like a dream... save we slight 3/4th gear shifting I think... but that will be another discussion post.

WildPackofFamilyDogsPlusLeChat