Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front U-Joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Front U-Joint Replacement

Hi everyone. Hope you all had a great New Years!

So after hearing all the horror stories about the front u-joints, I have decided to switch them out with 1-0005's from Advance Auto. I pick them up tomorrow along with a 7-0081NG center ball. So I decided to take the drive shaft off tonight in prep for tomorrow. After going back and forth with my 14mm and 15mm wrench, I realized that the nuts and bolts were 9/16. WTF?? Also, 2 of the bolts were loose near the axle. WTF again! So I got this thing off and am ready to take everyone's advice and take it somewhere to have them install the new u-joints...my vise isn't big enough.[:@] I tried a few things but it does seem like it would be bi*** ofa job. Is it worth it to get a bigger vise or go to Harbor Freight and get the tool for $29, or should I just admit that the job is too big? Some folks said it was cake, others say it's a PIA! Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Front U-Joint Replacement

How often do you grease the u-joints you have? You might consider replacing all 4 and cover your bases. Also lube the slip shafts on both drive lines.
As for the vice, I'll leave that up to you.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I plan on replacing all 4. Started with the front. I have not regularly greased them, that's why I'm replacing them.

So what's the deal with all the bolts and nuts being 9/16? Is that normal?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do remember having a tough time finding the right sized wrench for those nuts. I think I ended up using an SAE wrench to get them off. I'm pretty sure that the 14mm does fit, but it is very tight and you have to clean the nuts off.

How big is your vise? The tough part about changing the joints is having a big enough vise. I had my 6" maxed out and I had to be pretty creative with what I used to push the bearing cups out with (2 sockets and the joint will not all fit in there). I used a big socket to push the cup into andvarious nuts to push them out. THAT was a pain with only two hands, but do-able.It's all about using the right sized sockets (I used some pretty damn big sockets to make it work right). If you don't have a large assortment of sockets it's tough. I've never used the bearing tool. Looks like it might work though, I don't know.

Get new nuts and use lock-tite when you reinstall the staft. Torque properly of course!