Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearings 01 Disco2

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Sadly, the front bearings do come as a sub assembly complete. I was 'caught short' a few years ago and had to go to a main LR stealership in the UK and have one fitted with genuine LR parts - you need a mortgage when they do them.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Dusty, as the the man himself said - quote John McEnroe, "you cannot be serious"
I take it where i can get it. and by "get it" I mean "afford it"
sure I sometimes feel guilty for my overwhelming patronage of the big red, but the small price tag is like a pat on the shoulder saying "don't worry about it, you are saving all that yuan, so you can make sure that your girls stay off the pole.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
I take it where i can get it. and by "get it" I mean "afford it"
sure I sometimes feel guilty for my overwhelming patronage of the big red, but the small price tag is like a pat on the shoulder saying "don't worry about it, you are saving all that yuan, so you can make sure that your girls stay off the pole.
Shhsss, can't say tooooo much as my brother-in-law is Chinese.

Likewise, I buy a lot of cheapish stuff from the far east including China and Hong Kong but nothing too expensive. Their quality is often suspect but their technology in electronics is often second to none. Typically, I bought an in car VDS HD continuous recorder which records front and rear views with automated motion start/stop and many other features for................$34USD which included shipping to France...............how bad is that ? and it works brilliantly apart from the instructions which are supposed to be in English, Russian and Chinese but the on screen instructions I can only find in Chinese................bummer

Old 02-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Shhsss, can't say tooooo much as my brother-in-law is Chinese.

Likewise, I buy a lot of cheapish stuff from the far east including China and Hong Kong but nothing too expensive. Their quality is often suspect but their technology in electronics is often second to none. Typically, I bought an in car VDS HD continuous recorder which records front and rear views with automated motion start/stop and many other features for................$34USD which included shipping to France...............how bad is that ? and it works brilliantly apart from the instructions which are supposed to be in English, Russian and Chinese but the on screen instructions I can only find in Chinese................bummer
I buy quite a bit of electronics from China/Hong Kong. GREAT PRICES, and shipping is often free. Many times, things are SO cheap that I don't believe I'm actually going to receive the item or that it will work. ie: USB SD Card Reader $0.25 and Free shipping. Strangely enough, it shows up in a few days to couple weeks, and actually works! Runs about $6.00 in the US + Shipping.

I even bought a Special Laser from China. It ran $650.00 w Free Shipping. Runs about $3000.00 in US. Not only did it arrive and work perfectly, they accidentally sent 3 of them! He did of course call immediately when they noticed the mistake. They asked me to pay shipping back and they would reimburse me. I was hesitant, but after an Internet Handshake, we worked it out and everyone was happy. Legally I am able to keep the shipment since it was labeled to me and my address, but I would not be able to sleep knowing some poor guy lost his $0.25/hr job over a mistake I was able to fix. He's called me a few times to thank me, even had his wife and kids say HI!

I have found some items to be of Sub Par quality, but most of the time, it's pretty close.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

I am ever happy that I stumbled upon this thread! That's what I get for not checking this website daily. Two new front hubs assemblies for me!

Old 06-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello crew, I'm getting some play with my driverside front tire.
I think I've narrowed it down to the wheel bearing. I'm going to attempt the change myself.
One questions. If the bearing or something within the hub assembly was going bad would the amigos come on? Mine did not. Which is strange because they tend to come on when I cough, brake, asselerate, turn, etc etc (kidding, sort of)

Old 06-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the hubs are going bad they normally get hot and could mess with the sensor. It's an easy job to do them...

Old 06-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Hello crew, I'm getting some play with my driverside front tire.
I think I've narrowed it down to the wheel bearing. I'm going to attempt the change myself.
One questions. If the bearing or something within the hub assembly was going bad would the amigos come on? Mine did not. Which is strange because they tend to come on when I cough, brake, asselerate, turn, etc etc (kidding, sort of)
I've always understood the disco Ii hub bearings to be sealed and not changeable. Is that not true?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes they are one piece units