Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Front wheel bearings?

Most is not all bearings are replaceable. In the auto industry, when they say a bearing is "not serviceable" they mean the bearing can not be taken out, clean, and regrease like normal tapered bearings. Non serviceable bearings can be replaced. The question should be, do you know how to take them out and can you get a replacement bearing?
When manufacturer make the hud assemblies, they donot cast the hub aroundthe bearing. The hub is cast, then the bearing is press in.

I come across different "non serviceable" bearings on the equipments we work onat work, and according to the our service manual the entire pulley assembly should be changed as a complete unit.Depending on the situation I would press out this non serviceable bearing, call our local bearing supplier and give them the bearing number, 8 out of 10 times they can cross reference my bearing number with a bearing they have in stock.

Unike Nite Train, I grew up in a concrete jungle but I understand what he's saying.A bearing is a bearing, regardless if it's on a FJ, LR, Mack, Honda, or a Harley.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was kinda in the same mindset before I talked to Mike. Back in the day, I used to be the shop manager of a bicycle store, and we had a huge assortment of loose bearings. If I still had that availability, I would probably try to crack open my existing hubs and rebuild them. Problem now is, I can't find a kit to do it that I can be sure will fit, and I can't take a hub off and rip it apart without knowing for sure that I can put it back together. I don't believe anything is "nonserviceable". Fact of the matter is, the link that Spike referenced is for a rebuilt hub, so there's gotta be some way to do it, maybe I just don't have the parts or equipment necessary to do it.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Rover Curious

" I can't take a hub off and rip it apart without knowing for sure that I can put it back together."

OOOOOO yes you kan ........I just wouldn't advise it [sm=badidea.gif]

I do agree, I am pretty mechanically inclined and look at most situations as a challenge. If it was assembled it can be disassembled. I will on occasion (this being a new system - until I get my feet soaked) for the sake of time "justbuythedamnthing" however that leaves me a spare to learn with.

Robert

Old 12-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, once I isolate the problem, if it is the hubs, I'll definately be tearing the old ones apart to learn. If it's something else that requires replacement, I'll take that old part apart and learn from it as well. That's just the way I am. My garage is full of old parts from cars I don't even own anymore. I should probably throw some of that crap away.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Overlanding

Good thread guys. I've just noticed a noise in front end as well. Like a humming sound at higher speeds say 95-100km/h or 60 70mph. When I change lanes turning slightly to the right, the noise goes away, so Im guessing ( and previous experience on other vehicles) that this is the wheel bearing on right passenger side which is bad. Does a tie rod end make same noise or is a tie rod a knock sound in off-road driving?
Your help is greatly appreciated. By the way, how difficult is it to change hub on my own?
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The noise appearing, or going away, with a slight turn one direction or the other is a good indication of a bad hub bearing. It happens when the offending bearing loads or unloads, as the case may be, as you change lanes/turn.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Overlanding

Gentlemen,
I am about to venture on replacing my driver side hub bearing. Any tricks of the trade I should be aware of or is it pretty much time in removing and re-installing. Dealer estimates 2.5 hours complete. I'll give myself 6.... hours that is.
would really like to reference a step by step with pics if available. Searching forum and nothing yet.

thanks
Michael

Old 12-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you consulted the factory shop manual, the RAVE? Free download below.