Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Windows stopped. BCU??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Front Windows stopped. BCU??

I was putting the D2 away after a short drive on Sunday. After pulling into the garage, I pushed both front window switches to raise the windows. Passenger side went up all the way. Drivers stopped at 3-4 inches from the top. Won't go up, won't go down.

I can now hear a faint click from the BCU when pressing the switch. SO, I have an extra BCU and plugged it in, Truck wont start, no dash lights, nothing, zip, nada. Plugged the original one back in, everything works fine, still no windows.

I searched here and found an old post where the OP was instructed to replace the BCU, the ECM, and the dash cluster. Luckily I have the ECM from the donor truck as well. If I replace the BCM, and ECM to address the non-working windows, will the dash cluster be an issue?

BTW, no blown fuses and the windows had been working superb up to this point.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Dash odometer will probably flash, but in theory the BECM and ECM should work.

Bummer is once you swap back the old items odometer will most likely be flashing.

I would not suggest swapping components unless you have a tool that can sync them.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I have swapped out the ecu,ecu,gauge cluster. Piece of cake. Get a set that matches your sai situation and get close on milage. I got the whole set on eBay for $100

Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You should NOT have to swap ECM when swapping BCU if you pre-program your BCU with a Hawkeye or Testbook tool to say that you have no alarm? Maybe 3 different alarm settings to program "No" to.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's just a few phillips screws to remove to pull off your driver door trim so that you can access your window motor.

Applying 12V directly to your window motor should tell you if the window motor still works.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
It's just a few phillips screws to remove to pull off your driver door trim so that you can access your window motor.

Applying 12V directly to your window motor should tell you if the window motor still works.
True! I wont even go that far yet swapping bcu/ecu etc without swapping the window controls to the passenger side.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Talking

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
swapping the window controls to the passenger side.
Oh, good trick to test the window motor by using the other control/switch!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Yep, I definitely have some additional diagnosis to do. Thanks for all the input. BTW, anyone using an Autel MaxiDiag MD802?
Amazon Amazon

The unit is advertised as capable of reading 4 systems but I can only get it to see live engine data and read engine codes. When I try to access any of the body systems, ABS,Air ABags, etc. the unit tells me the it is not communicating with the vehicle.
I've not been able to make heads or tails of the present software vs. an update. Again, this unit has options for a tons of systems after I select my specific year, make, and model, it just won't recognize the vehicle.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Update on this issue, I swapped out both ECU and BCU. Afterwards the vehicle will not start. All I get is a flashing odometer. Unless both the used ECU and BCM I have are toast, merely swapping parts is a no go on this vehicle. Possibly both would have to be re flashed by the dealership?

Old 09-06-2017, 08:30 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm just wondering what really happened here. I hope you find the solution. From the beginning of your post your extra BCU did not work already. Did you at least tried if your window got power from your original BCU that worked? It just rare to hear working on a window and now the car wont start. Sooner or later you might need to get your truck reflashed, odometer wrong etc. I would just go back to square one and keep the old BCU for the time being.

Quick Reply: Front Windows stopped. BCU??