Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Windows stopped. BCU??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Update on this. I finally got the window issue straightened out. I'm not sure what I did, but they now work. Perhaps pulling the under dash fuse panel and reinstalling might have fixed it. I had read on another post where windshield water leaks could cause corrosion. I figured I would give it a look see. No corrosion at all so I reinstalled that along with the original BCM and the suddenly the windows are back on line. With no identifiable fault, I suspect I will deal with this again. fingers crossed.

So.... I moved on to the door lock issue. The 25 amp fuse in the under dash panel will blow when locking/unlocking the doors with the key remote or with the central locking switch. In efforts to isolate this fault, I removed all 5 door panels and unplugged each door lock actuator. I replaced the fuse and activated the locks using both methods with no short to ground.

Next, I refitted the power plugs on the actuators, one at a time, and cycled the remote and switch. No short. So, again I thought loose plug or maybe come corrosion. I even fitted a 15 amp fuse just to see if a actuator motor might be pulling to many amps. The system cycled multiple times with no issue.

So, I refitted all the door panels and tried the system again. All door locked, but when trying to unlock, the fuse blew. Same scenario with a 20, 25, 30, and 40 amp fuse. Somewhere in the system I have a hard short to ground on the unlock side.

Any ideas where this gremlin will take me?

Old 10-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

GUESS WHAT??!!......... Windows quit working again. Just after I got through doing the timing set and oil pump. WTH!! just when you think you are making headway, the ole girl bucks you off again.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, it sounds like a wiring fault somewhere, maybe a pinched or broken wire. Don't try heavier duty/amperage fuses as you could set the wiring on fire and that'll be costly.