Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Windows stopped. BCU??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:41 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

If your BCU ends up being the culprit then you may want to consider a professionally reprogrammed BCU unit that is programmed in advance and shipped to your door, ready for installation. Based out of the UK. Call them or fill out the contact form. Cheaper than new unit but better than using an old used unit.

Turner Diagnostics:
https://www.turnerdiagnostics.com/la...-exchange.html

Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Davis31052
Update on this issue, I swapped out both ECU and BCU. Afterwards the vehicle will not start. All I get is a flashing odometer. Unless both the used ECU and BCM I have are toast, merely swapping parts is a no go on this vehicle. Possibly both would have to be re flashed by the dealership?
The Speedometer is flashing because the mileage does not match with the mileage from the ECU/BCU.
When you swap the ECU/BCU the Rover is immobilized.
You need to use the EKA, or turn the key in the ignition to the 2nd position and leave it for 5 minutes to sync.

I would look into the motor as the culprit. It seems more likely the window motor went out than the BCU.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for that info, Nick. Is it common for both motors to fail at the same time? Exactly the same time?? Both windows worked fine a few time earlier in the drive. The last time I sent them up, the passenger side went all the way up, the drivers stopped prematurely. Now, neither side will do a thing. Not saying it doesn't happen, just seemed a bit odd.

As a side note, per TRIAR11's suggestion, I talked to Turner Engineering this morning. Nice fella, very helpful too. If I do determine I have a bad BCU, I may send both to have them repaired. No harm in having a spare.

Last edited by Davis31052; 09-08-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:13 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

If it's not the BCU, I have a good front passenger window motor. Free if you or anyone else needs it.
Window in my 04 would jam. As suspected, the track had a broken wheel/bushing. I had bought a motor too, just in case, but the motor was ok.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Cool Offer, Six!! Way to pay if forward!

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 11:28 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Cool Offer, Six!! Way to pay if forward!
Thank you sir.
I have a few things if anyone needs them.
I need to start a new thread.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for that info, Nick. Is it common for both motors to fail at the same time? Exactly the same time?? Both windows worked fine a few time earlier in the drive. The last time I sent them up, the passenger side went all the way up, the drivers stopped prematurely. Now, neither side will do a thing. Not saying it doesn't happen, just seemed a bit odd.

As a side note, per TRIAR11's suggestion, I talked to Turner Engineering this morning. Nice fella, very helpful too. If I do determine I have a bad BCU, I may send both to have them repaired. No harm in having a spare.
I missed that it was both windows, I thought it was just the one.
Sync the new ECU/BCU by leaving the key in the 2nd position for 5 minutes and see if that changes anything.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:56 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I just wanted to clarify that "Turner Engineering" and "Turner Diagnostics" are 2 separate companies, both based in the UK. Turner Engineering specializes in professionally remanufactured land Rover engines and cylinder heads while Turner Diagnostics appears to be a specialized repair shop with specialization on electrical and remanufactured BCU's for our Rovers.

Cheers and good luck.

PS: Im going through same **** with my front windows too. Except my front driver motor and regulator are new, all the fuses and the relay are good. I feel your pain

Old 09-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Tried swapping out the new/used BCU this morning and went thru the minimum 5 minute wait before trying to start the truck.

Nothing changed with the windows and the truck will start and then shut down.

Looks like my next step is to get one or both of my BCU reprogrammed in the U.K. Or...... can a dealership do this. I believe the closest to me is in Atlanta, about 2 hrs north

LandRover of Buckhead
3040 Piedmont Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Any Georgia members have any experience with this dealer ?

Old 09-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Dealer can do it, but for the price might be better to buy a tool that can do it, or a matched set of ECU, BECM, and guage cluster.

Quick Reply: Front Windows stopped. BCU??