Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fu#@ing Starter!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 07:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Fu#@ing Starter!

I'm pretty sure my starter in my 00 Disco II is done for. I got stranded a few weeks ago when my car wouldn't start at all. I ended up going back to it and got it to start again, took it to the LR shop and they told me it was the battery, though that didn't make sense. So I replaced the battery and have still had issues with the car being hard to start or needing a jump but I've had the new battery tested twice now and it's good. Now it won't start at all, so I am trying to remove the starter and have it tested, but the piece of sh*t heat shield won't come out. It has a bolt which is easy enough to remove, but it's also riveted to the metal in the motor mount...what British dumbass thought that was a good idea?!?!

So...wtf do I do? I can't get to the top bolt to remove it. I need all of the helps!

Old 11-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Old 11-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey McManus
I'm pretty sure my starter in my 00 Disco II is done for. I got stranded a few weeks ago when my car wouldn't start at all. I ended up going back to it and got it to start again, took it to the LR shop and they told me it was the battery, though that didn't make sense. So I replaced the battery and have still had issues with the car being hard to start or needing a jump but I've had the new battery tested twice now and it's good. Now it won't start at all, so I am trying to remove the starter and have it tested, but the piece of sh*t heat shield won't come out. It has a bolt which is easy enough to remove, but it's also riveted to the metal in the motor mount...what British dumbass thought that was a good idea?!?!

So...wtf do I do? I can't get to the top bolt to remove it. I need all of the helps!
10mm bolt access at the front of the motor mount, releases the shield.

im guessing it's your cables and they are not tight on the battery.

The following users liked this post:
Casey McManus (11-27-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Once you get it off, looks for a starter/alternator repair shop. Even most small towns have them, and they are almost always cheaper than any other option.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:07 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

if you say the car starts when jumped try taking a meter to the battery, then the charger to see if you find a fault. Definitely try checking your connection at the battery. I know it sounds pretty stupid and obvious but if it happens on and off even without a jump try to replace your starter relay.

When it doesn't start try to give the starter a little love tap and see if that helps crank it. If the starter was checked and the bump to it doesn't work chances are it's not the starter.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Heat Shield isn't that hard to get off (it's strange but compared to the 2 8mm starter bolts it's a breeze).

I've never had a starter rebuilt, but I did replace the starter on my 98 D1 with a 99.00 D2 Starter from Auto Zone. I've had it for two years now with zero issues and it turns over my D1 flawlessly.

Check all your Battery, Starter, Alternator connections, and make sure they aren't corroded.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:26 PM
4wd Low

lol, I actually have that downloaded already and totally forgot to check it.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:31 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Rlozano
if you say the car starts when jumped try taking a meter to the battery, then the charger to see if you find a fault. Definitely try checking your connection at the battery. I know it sounds pretty stupid and obvious but if it happens on and off even without a jump try to replace your starter relay.

When it doesn't start try to give the starter a little love tap and see if that helps crank it. If the starter was checked and the bump to it doesn't work chances are it's not the starter.
The jump start worked one time a few weeks ago, but isn't working this time. I did give the starter some whacks with a rod and hammer while a friend tried turning the key. It would click once but sounded like it's stuck.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:26 PM
4wd Low

Ok, so it's all done. The heat shield was the worst part. For anyone else having this issue, that bolt that holds it on is pretty hard to find, tucked inside the motor mount cross member. I'm attaching a pic from the manual. I'd have never found it without. It's a 10mm. The bolts holding the starter on are 8mm allen, and the nut holding the positive connection is the same 13mm as your battery leads. In addition to jacking the front end up, I removed the RF wheel, it made getting under and having more light a lot easier. I didn't detach the exhaust pipe. Installing the new starter was easier than removing the old one. The heat shield a bitch that had to be bent a bit to fit back in, but that wasn't a big issue. She starts again and avoids the scrap yard...for now. Be patient, take deep breaths, curse real loud and you might just avoid a big bill at the garage.

I took the old starter in and got it tested, it was not only a massive fail, but was also arcing and siphoning power. I picked up a delco refurb with a lifetime warranty at Auto Zone for $78 after core credit. Not too bad.

Last edited by Casey McManus; 11-28-2016 at 03:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Casey McManus:
JUKE179r (11-28-2016), Motorhead1 (11-29-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey McManus
I picked up a delco refurb with a lifetime warranty at Auto Zone for $78 after core credit.
Thanks for the info.
What was the part number for the refurbed Delco starter?

Quick Reply: Fu#@ing Starter!