Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel door release switch

Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question fuel door release switch

OK guys I have been thinking about this since I bought the truck. wiring a switch to an actuator behind the rear bumper that is attached to a rod that goes up to the fuel filler door and then spring loading the rod and the door hinges thus giving me a fuel door release switch. I know it does not sound like much but I hate the fact that I have to grab my 1 key for the fuel door (which I keep above the ashtray) every time I need fuel, feel free to call me lazy at this point. I do like that my fuel door is secure (especially with todays economy and often changing fuel prices) but would prefer a button on the dash to pop it open. just wondering if anyone has ever done this or considered doing it?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be possible to put in a DII release button and door actuator?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that's what I would do I no longer have a factory radio so the instrument cluster bezel switches for the radio can be replaced with whatever I want, my concern however would be to make this thing work on the fuel door side. I have looked closely at it and I think the best solution would be to modify the latch part on the truck and shorten the bar that goes up and down on the keyed part (this way the key would still work if needed). as for the catch on the truck side it is like a triangle I am thinking if I was to replace this with a small flexible plastic tab (unless I can find a small pre-made spring loaded release mechanism for cheap) and a small metal cable (like a bicycle brake cable) then I could have the actuator pull the plastic tab back and allow the shortened bar slip past it and open the door, and to make this even easier the door is already spring loaded!!!

I have an old actuator that will work fine now I just need a few other parts.