Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump bad...getting it changed at mechanic...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump bad...getting it changed at mechanic...

So this is a reply I made within a thread I started on the general tech forum...

Basically, my fuel pump is bad and they are changing it out and quoted me a price of ~1100.00 for the parts...said its the correct parts and would have lifetime warranty...+labor. My reply to posts questioning type of/cost of parts and my questions...

"Ok. So as you all can tell I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to automobiles. So, yes, I'm sure that he is quoting a dealer part. I take it from looking through some threads and the responses to this thread that that probably is not necessary. Do you not want to go with LR parts on something like this? I've seen where not going with dealer authorized or dealer parts on some repairs has caused issues with warning codes and performance issues. Not so with a fuel pump? And what kind of labor time are we looking at with a fuel pump change? I've tried to research so as not to have to come and ask questions that have been answered 100 times before, but my problem with that is that I'll find the question I want answered, but the replies sound like mechanics talking to mechanics...over my head. From what I've seen, simply changing the fuel pump itself is probably not the best option, as seals, hoses, screws and other hardware may be corroded or damaged before or during the change. I'm also assuming that since this is being done by a mechanic at a shop and not by an independent mechanic, they are probably looking at doing the max as far as what needs to or will be changed out in order to be able to guarantee the work...ie, they will be changing hoses/seals etc. to ensure that I don't get 100 miles down the road and have a related part fail on me. I'm ok with all of that, but I do not want to be getting charged a set labor fee on something with pump being charged at x units, hoses being charged at x units, clamps and seals being charged at x units...all individually rounded up to the next time unit when the job should only take 1/2 that time in actuality. I really wish I had my garage set up for and all the info and tools that I planned on getting so I could work on all of this myself, but all this **** has hit the proverbial wind machine before I had the time to get myself and my space set up to do so. Anyway, I appreciate y'alls' responses and would like to know what you think total labor time should be assuming that they are going to change out everything related to the fuel pump like would happen at a dealership if I took it there. Thanks again for the replies."

What say ye?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I can't believe there had not been a million responses to this.

1st- search replacement fuel pump and you will find the part number for the actual pump.

2nd- you will need a Phillips screwdriver, dull punch, and a hammer.

No offense to the Geico caveman, but a caveman could do it.

In fact, when parting out a rover, removing the fuel pump is my wife's job. Granted, she is no slouch. Takes her 10 min max.

Fix it yourself. That will be the most useless $1100 plus you will spend.

Last edited by abran; 06-18-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by abran
I can't believe there had not been a million responses to this.
The lack of paragraphs makes it a tough read......especially on a phone.
In closing tl;dr

Aight fine. Follow Abran's instructions.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

boy; shame that's a new motivator MY WIFE CAN DO IT WOW

Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

LmAo! If I knew any better I would say that at this point he is just jerking our chain!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

My guess is your mechanic is assuming the tank will have to be removed. Pretty sure there is a cover in the back right over the top of the tank that is removed with a bunch of screws. That will give you access to the fuel pump. Remove the ring that holds it in place and the wires and hoses, and the whole thing pulls right out.

I have heard you can replace just the pump and it will cost much less for the parts. Otherwise the pump and sending unit can be expensive. but it is not a difficult job for a shade tree mechanic to do. No need to pull the tank out.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

The $1100 quote was parts only, he doesn't mention labor cost.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

When I was looking at purchasing my D1, it had a non-working fuel pump. I noticed it had an emissions sticker from California (?) and told the guy that it would probably be the $1100 fuel pump, and used that to get the price down. In fact, it used the less expensive pump and turned out it was a wiring problem and didn't need the fuel pump anyhow. Still got the replacement pump in a box on the shelf I put in . Found out there was nothing wrong with the original and put it back in just to try it. Been in ever since.

easiest pump I have ever installed.