Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump/Gas Tank Son of a...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump/Gas Tank Son of a...

So I pull my carpet and fuel pump just to visually inspect it.

[:@]

The firs thting I notice is the carpet padding is ripped where it had been folded over. Someone has accessed the pump already.

The next thing I notice: Paper towel sticking out from under the pump cover. WTF?

I take it off, remove a wad of paper towels and rags and find that the ring that holds the pump to the tank has been broken and the whole assemply is covered in 15 kinds of glue.

I'm stumped. I don't know if my pumped is the problem. Visually it looks fine. It has been whining, however.

BUT a problem exists. I need to know how all of it goes back together. I can somewhat figure it out, but I'm not sure. I don't have my camera handy so I can't post pics.

To say the least, I am PISSED. Who does this sort of shoddy work? I mean, that's not even safe.

If anyone has knowledge or the like to add, please do so. Pics would be great and I'll post my own ASAP.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Pump/Gas Tank Son of a...

Pics:: Notice the adhesive on all the peices.

And for the kicker:

It all came out in one big mess, basically. It looks like I will just need a new retaining ring, but I need some opinions to be sure.

Also, it would seem as if the retaining went and seated on the pump, was then placed into the tank, and the cap was fitted down on top of it all. Correct?

I need to know if I should replace the pump or not. There is no visual damage to the top of the seat, but it would have to be cleaned thoroughly. The pump is audible it's a hair less loud than a failing power steering pump.

Thoughts?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If your fuel pump is that noisy then I would say that it is going south.
The PO probally replaced it himself and used a non LR pump in the LR pump housing. He broke the gasket and made due and then dumped the truck.
It most likely has sucked in all kinds of dirt and dust because of the bad seal and caused the pump to fail prematurely.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given all of the gunk, I would definitely say to replace the pump, gasket and retaining ring. Are the lines all messed up as well?
How are the threads on the tank for the retaining ring?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

When does the pump make noise, when it is hot out or cold, when the tank is full or near empty?
If it is when it is hotter out and or the tank in near empty, the pump will most likekly be shot.