Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank over filling

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Fuel tank over filling

Anybody having an issue when you fill up, the gas pump cuts off but then there is some fuel that runs over the top of the tank. Wondering if it might be a bad seal or what

Old 03-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On mine & a buddy's 04's you fill up the tank and then you get one more squirt from the pump in there and after that the next squeeze of the handle has it coming out and down the side of the disco.

I had a prior habit of squeezing the gas pump handle as many times as I could to get the most gas into my tank that I could. Owning a disco has cured me of that.

It might be normal for these vehicles unless it's cutting off early on you.

I've also noticed that at some stations the particular pump they have doesn't want to work well in my fill neck and I have to sit there and hold the pump manually at a slower pace to get any gas to go in my disco. If I set the "auto" switch on the pump handle then the flow is too much at an improper angle (at least that's what I've decided the problem to be) and it keeps clicking off on me. I've learned to avoid those gas stations in my area that gave me trouble.

Hope this helps. They are finicky beasts in general!

Old 03-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Mine actually doesn't come out the side surprisingly enough, it comes out from underneath. I'm thinking possibly a bad seal at the fuel pump but haven't dug into it that far. It will leave 2 spots under the truck where I fueled up at.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:55 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, definitely different than what I experience. As I recall the RAVE has a great diagram that should show you possible leak points.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Well I found the source of my problem. It appears the lock ring that holds the fuel pump in came loose and that's why it was doing that. I guess I'll have to order a new ring. I lubed it up a bit and got it back secure but damn what a predicament. The only reason I found it, the previous owner had sunroof leaks and I've been replacing the carpet and making sure there wasn't any rust or anything and then spraying the floor pans with truck bed liner to help seal it and maybe deaden the noise and I was removing everything I thought was rusted and needed to be powdercoated and when I opened up the fuel pump cover, I saw it.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Funny, just today I did the "one more squeeze" when filling up and it seemed to take about one dollar more gas, then when I removed the nozzle that one more dollar worth of gas belched out the filler tube down the side of the truck making quite a big puddle!

She was full up to the rim when it stopped overflowing and I screwed the lid on and got the heck out of there.

I've also had the problem with the frequent stopping due to wrong angle of filler neck issue at some specific gas stations, even one pump at a certain station, which I learn to avoid. Rarely happens but when it does happen, you don't want it to happen in Oregon where you have to explain it to a pump operator.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 PM
Pro Wrench

In Alabama if they see u spilled fuel, they can charge you for the clean up so I know your feelings

Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I learned the hard way with expensive Trek Decals the first time, to never get one more squeeze (costly mistake)...once it fills and cuts off it is full. Decals were replaced with higher quality after that...

Old 03-30-2017, 06:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

To get more gas in the tank I rock the truck back and forth at the bumper to "burp" the tank and get the air out.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 947 Likes on 636 Posts

I've been told that overfilling your tank can cause purge valve failure. Not sure if there's any truth to it, but just relaying what I've heard.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank over filling