Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full power steering flush on Disco 2

Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I did this today and can tell the difference. I have always been a fan of sea foam and royal purple products and that's what I use in my other vehicles and run a can of sea foam through my tank every 3 months.....but back to the topic. I did use the sea foam hydratune and then after sucking everything out, I removed the air filter housing and unclipped the power steering resivoir lines and remove it and cleaned it the best I could. I then put it back on and reattached the lines and filled it with regular Lucas power steering fluid. I figured I would start with the cheaper stuff. After it hit the low mark, I added the penatosin and continued the flush until it was showing that fluid. Then I did add a bit of the Lucas power steering conditioner BC I did the flush on my work car too and split the bottle in half. My wife even said while she was turning the wheel, she could tell a difference. It steers like a dream now after I did all the driving around. It's a great write up and thanks for making it a sticky.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

While doing this I noticed that my pump was bad, luckily under warranty at Napa. I put through lots of fluid bleeding the system.

The steering is more even, but still a little tight.

When you guys compare your steering to other cars/trucks is it more difficult to turn? I test drove a Wrangler, as my Dad is looking to upgrade his '86 CJ7, and the steering was much easier to turn.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
While doing this I noticed that my pump was bad, luckily under warranty at Napa. I put through lots of fluid bleeding the system.

The steering is more even, but still a little tight.

When you guys compare your steering to other cars/trucks is it more difficult to turn? I test drove a Wrangler, as my Dad is looking to upgrade his '86 CJ7, and the steering was much easier to turn.
Until my pump went out last night my steering was very light. I traded down to my Disco from a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited, and I think they are pretty comparable.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your steering feels too tight you might want to check the joints on your steering column. Mine were practically seized up from rust but a liberal application of penetrating oil and use freed it up. Since the steering column is before the gearbox any resistance is significant at the wheel.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

All I did was to take a turkey baster and add on a tube. What ever volume I sucked out, I replaced with new. Drive around for a couple of days, work the steering wheel lock-to-lock. Do this a couple of times and you should get 80% or so of the fluid changed.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by JoJo The Giraffe
All I did was to take a turkey baster and add on a tube. What ever volume I sucked out, I replaced with new. Drive around for a couple of days, work the steering wheel lock-to-lock. Do this a couple of times and you should get 80% or so of the fluid changed.
I did the exact same thing

Old 03-04-2018, 12:11 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

My PAS groans sometimes, but the PAS fluid has been in there 15 years so time for a fluid change I guess.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 AM

For those who want to pay $$$ for system flushing, you can probably do two-three fluid exchanges if you do it yourself for the same price. Gravity is a wonderful phenomenon in this regard. It takes a bit of preparation, but you will know your vehicle more if you do this. Don't forget to get a grease gun to do the prop shafts, among other components. I do not consider myself to be a mechanical, but the folks on this forum have tons of experience to share.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:31 PM

On my 2000 D2, all I did was to take a turkey baster with some extra tubing taped and sucked out the old fluid and replaced it with new Pentosin. I will have to do this again, maybe 2 more times, but its quick. The reservoir holds just over 1 cup. The old stuff came out dark brown near black.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:37 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the write-up! I will do this soon. I've been considering just replacing my pump and the lines, but I might as well give this a try first to see if it helps any

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Full power steering flush on Disco 2