Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full power steering flush on Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 02:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by CameraDan
Thanks for the write-up! I will do this soon. I've been considering just replacing my pump and the lines, but I might as well give this a try first to see if it helps any
Thanks!
I'm sooooo cheap that's why I did the flush first and then go from there if the steering problem persisted.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I did the flush on a guys LR the other day, used RP Power Steering Fluid, and the Lucas PS conditioner. When he bought the D2 the PS pump was INOP. Got that replaced ASAP, and then I flushed it. The old fluid had a ton of small metal particles so I used cheap fluid to flush it really really good, then once I was happy with that I switched over to the good stuff.

I did it on my 99 D2 as well, and it helped, but I think my box is getting old. After like a 2hr drive the power steering is as hard as a rock. Pump is new so that leaves the box itself. I’m going to tinker with the box preload adjustment and see if that helps.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

When I did the turkey-baster-power-steering-change, I was sucking some small particles, likely hose bits, dirt, etc. I found it to be much smoother steering.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best or easiest way to reach the bleed nipple?

Old 09-28-2018, 12:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

For me I went straight down from the top with a wrench to open and close the steering box bleed nipple
Just be careful not to get clothes caught up in the engine’s moving parts while doing this. .

The following users liked this post:
Explorer0863 (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:01 PM
7th Gear

I'm gonna do this over the weekend, one question though. I have the PAS/ACE reservoir. Do you know the capacity? Also, Pentosin CHF 11s is $60 CAD (ouch), but I found this instead OEM Power Steering Fluid, European. Has anyone used this before? Thanks.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:36 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ecsttacy
I'm gonna do this over the weekend, one question though. I have the PAS/ACE reservoir. Do you know the capacity? Also, Pentosin CHF 11s is $60 CAD (ouch), but I found this instead OEM Power Steering Fluid, European. Has anyone used this before? Thanks.
I can't speak from experience, but as I understand, the ACE system is much pickier than any other power steering system for our trucks in regards to fluid, so don't cheap out and put anything suspect in it. Go with the Land Rover fluid; Atlantic British carries it for like $40:
ACE & Power Steering fluid

Old 09-29-2018, 01:50 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CameraDan
I can't speak from experience, but as I understand, the ACE system is much pickier than any other power steering system for our trucks in regards to fluid, so don't cheap out and put anything suspect in it. Go with the Land Rover fluid; Atlantic British carries it for like $40:
ACE & Power Steering fluid
Thanks for the response, The shipping to canada is too expensive, 50usd for shipping is too much :S. Might just go with Pentosin instead.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:33 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I recall, the reservoir is 1-1/4 cups I think, but just to be sure, when you drain it, pour the old liquid into even an older measuring cup. As for using other types of power steering fluid, there is a type that VW/Audi uses that bares the same spec, but Pentosin seems to be the norm. You can get Pentosin at your local NAPA store in Canada. About $50. Anything imported is just ridiculous.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:35 AM
7th Gear

Hey guys I finally had time to work on my Disco, I replaced the gravity feed hose to my pump that was leaking, I pretty much took the pump out the bracket and gave it a clean, no problems putting everything back together.
I filled my tank with Hydra Trans Tune but when I turn the wheel I get the ACE light flashing red with a sound. Checked reservoir tank and now its filled with the old fluid that was left in the box, I'm gonna let it sit overnight with the cap off to bleed some of the bubbles out and see if that was the problem. I'll do the bleed and flush the HTT and replace it with Pentosin tomorrow. Hopefully, this will fix it but if anyone have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

EDIT
I replaced the old fluid left on the box and the HTT through the nipple on the steering box like it said on RAVE manual with 1 1/2 can of Pentosin and half a bottle of Lucas Oil and light in the dash it's gone. Pump sound is gone as well. Thank you so much for the write up it probably saved my pump!

Last edited by ecsttacy; 10-20-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Full power steering flush on Disco 2