Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G4: Where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Actually I believe the Trek editon comes with the following:

Skid plate
SD roof rack
Warn Winch/mount
Warn Winch lights
Trek Badge stitched into front seat headrests
Waterproof seatcovers front and rear
Cargo area barrier
Custom paint
Custom decals
Upscale all terrain tires

Possibly ACE and SLS?

I know the vehicle is still a D2 but it looks awesome and already has most of the off-road mods preinstalled factory - I like that!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Actually I believe the Trek editon comes with the following:

Skid plate
SD roof rack
Warn Winch/mount
Warn Winch lights
Trek Badge stitched into front seat headrests
Waterproof seatcovers front and rear
Cargo area barrier
Custom paint
Custom decals
Upscale all terrain tires

Possibly ACE and SLS?

I know the vehicle is still a D2 but it looks awesome and already has most of the off-road mods preinstalled factory - I like that!
According to your list, that does justify a couple thousand extra in cost. It makes sense in that case.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:12 AM
TReK

Perhaps, just seems it would cost alot more to buy all the accessories now especially when some of them are now hard to find. and I have a feeling that these rare editions were better maintained then standard models so perhaps If I gt my hands on one the mechanical work would be up to date and it would already have the toys on board.... Alas Serchtempest only came back with 1 result with a any miles filter so it looks like they are to rare to find. I could always skin my Disco with the Trek theme.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

FWIW the Jeep Rubicons come with air lockers, which is a sweet add-on package.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
FWIW the Jeep Rubicons come with air lockers, which is a sweet add-on package.
AND bigger, better axles and a 4:1 low range transfer case. The JK rubicon certainly isn't just a mall crawler. But they are still like belly buttons.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Agreed, but factory air lockers are a whole lot nicer than just stickers

Old 09-23-2013, 01:08 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Agreed, but factory air lockers are a whole lot nicer than just stickers
Funny thing about Jeep Rubicon/wrangler models 2012-present. My supervisor an avid Jeep enthusiast just recieved letter in mail from Chrysler Jeep, notifying him of a problem with the power steering and transmission.

2012-2013 Jeep Wrangler Recalled For Transmission Problem

In the letter it mentioned the possibility of a transmission failure and even a fire! Letter went on to say that the company will make the needed modifications/alterations to the problem at no charge to him the owner... BUT GET THIS! At the very bottom of the letter it states that currently the parts needed for the job are not available and that it could take up to a year or longer for the parts to be available!
My boss was like "WTF! am I just suppose to stop driving my daily driver for a year?!" He actually showed me the letter! He then went on and complained about how the heads failed earlier this year and already had to be replaced and that the Jeep dealership he's been buying Jeeps new from for the last 10 years, has horrible customer service and they treat him like ****.

Air lockers or not ill pass on Jeep. Got out of them long ago. The wrangler models are not really practical daily drivers either, nor are they comfortable. Can't imagine the agony of driving a wrangler for a couple hours.

Last edited by TRIARII; 09-23-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Perhaps, just seems it would cost alot more to buy all the accessories now especially when some of them are now hard to find. and I have a feeling that these rare editions were better maintained then standard models so perhaps If I gt my hands on one the mechanical work would be up to date and it would already have the toys on board.... Alas Serchtempest only came back with 1 result with a any miles filter so it looks like they are to rare to find. I could always skin my Disco with the Trek theme.
In truth the Trek Editions came with all that you mention as well as the CDL. But the rarity of them is based on the number that were made 15. The little Special Vehicle tag on the headliner is not the only way these were designated they were also offered with a unique VIN as well. Most everyone of them were originally painted black then resprayed in Tangiers Orange. The stickers were offered by Land Rover with each Trek receiving its own number for Trek Event. These were owned by Land Rover Dealers until they went to private sellers. They had a stickerprice in 2003 for 60k.
To most every Discovery owner today they are a stickered D2, but to the owners that have them they are a rarity not quite to the attention of Camel Trophy but right under. The G4 follows the Trek and the Kalahari follows the G4 in rarity...again a term that most owners could care a less in or see no value in. But to those of us that have restored one of these and know what is involved there is a value to buying one of these and reselling one of these. Call it crazy it is.... a couple of years ago a G4 sold in Alabama for the mid 30s. Yes way over priced but it set a precedent to what a possible owner will pay for one of these. This on it's own keeps most potential buyers away. There are plenty of examples though where the G4s and especially Kalahari sell for what a plain jane D2 will sell for.
I have seen Treks sell for 13 - high 20s....and the sticker kits boys are about 1500 to 2k bucks.....so bottomline is most of these Treks are owned by mainly LR owners that will not ever sell until the price point is satisfied or until they die and the wives release the cars for sell.
and yes they are plagued with every malady that a D2 has .....
A jeep would be cheaper to own over time ..... but brand new a fully optioned jeep is about +40k....

Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, point made. but after you have replaced the engine with a none match number engine the value must drop tremendously?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We have one member of the Houston Land Rover Club who has one. He works for the LR dealer on the north side of town and as I recall he bought it after the dealership had it for awhile as a demo vehicle.

It's nickname is pumpkin!

Attached Thumbnails G4: Where are they?-trek.jpg  

Quick Reply: G4: Where are they?