Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G4: Where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
yes, point made. but after you have replaced the engine with a none match number engine the value must drop tremendously?
I would agree to certain point especially for a 100% purist! But what LAndRover has ever been deemed totally pure and matching? Most collectable LandRovers either have frames that rusted and deteriorated over time or motors that blew or leaked until they blew.
On my older collectable cars like my BMWs absolutely but not so much on this LR for this reason. The motors on these D2s are time bombs, a lot of current or past owners have ditched he stock motors for replacements. Mine still has the stock block just bulletproofed. The real value for D2's is in the heritage of the VIN ala Camel Trophy.....Trek G4 .... And keep in mind, D90s 110s etc....a little bit different. Time will tell...but reality is that D2 motors usually will need full replacement at some point ...unfortunately many failures happen way before 150k miles ...sadly.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
We have one member of the Houston Land Rover Club who has one. He works for the LR dealer on the north side of town and as I recall he bought it after the dealership had it for awhile as a demo vehicle. It's nickname is pumpkin!
There were two maybe three orange d2 at SCARR this year. I assumed the were G4, but I won't lie, I didn't look very closely. One of them might have been a trek I as suppose.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I always thought the G4's were pretty cool but honestly I've never considered owning a kalahari, camel trophy, or G4. I think it's cooler to have a Discovery in the color of your choice and then make it your own.

Oslo Blue, Metallic Red and Silver have always been the best D2 colors in my opinion.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
We have one member of the Houston Land Rover Club who has one. He works for the LR dealer on the north side of town and as I recall he bought it after the dealership had it for awhile as a demo vehicle.

It's nickname is pumpkin!
What is that material used for his flooring on the SD rack? Dont look like chick coop flooring!

All valid points everybody. I dont have the $$$$ nor would I spend THAT much for a Trek Edition when I could instead shoot for a LR3 HSE with HD package! But I still love how it looks and al the factory accessories that came with it. One thing I love about the Trek and G4 editions is how they added off-road gear WITHOUT sacrificing the vehicles cosmetic integrity. When you start pulling off the factory front bumper for steel HD bumpers, 4+ lift kits and oversized tires and steel wheels it ruins the cosmetic integrity (IN MY OPINION). So I give credit to LR for how they put the Trek and G4 editions together.

That Orange color is perhaps not the most desirable color but it is one of those colors that gives new youthful sporty life to your vehicle plus is a safety feature when driving through snow storms or other conditions where visibility is reduced, bright color like that will stand out like a soar thumb

Unlikely then that I will ever get my hands on a Trek but it does inspire me to build a Disco with similar qualities especially in regards to the off-road features and accessories. Will not sacrifice the cosmetic integrity of the vehicle. Front bumper will not be removed unless I can find a skilled fabricator who can build me a HD front bumper with rounded edges that looks nearly identical to the factory style bumper. Could be made in such a way that the colored plastic end caps can be removed and re-installed though. The winch will be hidden in the bumper but the grille will not be trimmed. Warn lights will be used (2 on front bumper and 4 on roof) tires will not be swtiched out for steel wheels, instead Ill use the LR 16" style 2 wheels, the headliner will not be removed. Additional gauges (oil pressure and Ultragauge) will be installed to look factory. Rear bumper will follow same guidelines as front bumper except the fake plastic diamond plating will be replaced with black steel diamond plating. Underbody armor and guards. I really want my Disco to look almost factory but will having all the nice off-road accessories and upgrades installed.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Trek, but without all the fancy add-ons. (At least I think it's a Trek. It says TREK on the special vehicles badge in the engine compartment). I've never been able to find anything on the internet about the history of this model. I've been told it's rare, but I don't know how true that it is.

Name:  5Ms4V5F.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  649.3 KB

Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

^ purdy ^

Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that picture is terrific

Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Fantastic Picture Bob! Which Pass was this from?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! It's at the top of Wise Mountain, looking toward Breck. You can see the runs at the far right.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Rock Crawling

ah I remember that spot ...I spent a bunch of time in Frisco several years ago....especially on snowmobiles.

Quick Reply: G4: Where are they?