Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Disco RANT

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover

Well that's Land Rover ownership........just never forget the number>>>>
(Said in my best Larry the Cable Guy voice) I don't care who you are that's funny right there.

Land Rover - turning owners into mechanics for 70 years.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

I was telling my wife the other day I need to figure out a good British name to use when I want to whine about the Disco. In my E30 days, there were many times I used to cuss Jurgen for seemingly nitwit afterthoughts of design.

try "Jiles". it's about as British sounding as they come.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
I was telling my wife the other day I need to figure out a good British name to use when I want to whine about the Disco. In my E30 days, there were many times I used to cuss Jurgen for seemingly nitwit afterthoughts of design.

try "Jiles". it's about as British sounding as they come.
eerrrr, apart from the spelling eh, it's spelt Giles, with a G.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:55 PM

IMHO, faced with the dilemma of the broken XYZ switch broken bolt, as The Deputy states, cur a hole in the transmission tunnel either square or using at least a 3" to 4" rotary tank cutter and drill out the bolt and re-tap the thread in the autobox casting and then fix a steel or alu plate over the hole and mastic it into place and drill and screw or pop rivet it. A relatively simple job to do but ensure to centre pop and centre drill the broken bolt first. The hardest part will be removing the carpet first but all up it's a couple of hours work, job done. Don't forget to re-direct and extend the A/C drain tube otherwise it will all be deja vue .

Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, I got it. Cleaned away the corrosion near the break with a small wire brush and soaked with PB Blaster. Waited 24 hours. Hit it with my MAPP torch (small flame) for about a minute. Let cool and hit with PB again. Waited another day. Small Vice Grips on the nub and the POS time-wasting b@5tard broke loose.

Tomorrow I put everything back together with the new XYZ switch and move on. Hopefully.

Thanks for all the helpful comments and advice.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Victory!!!!

Old 12-22-2016, 02:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Darn it, does this mean we can't rant about our Discovery's engineering anymore...lol.

Nope, glad you got it out and can move on...now.

Good luck, with the rest of the repair.

Brian.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Darn it, does this mean we can't rant about our Discovery's engineering anymore...lol.

Nope, glad you got it out and can move on...now.

Good luck, with the rest of the repair.

Brian.
X1 ................... if at first you don't succeed ............. etc, etc

Good to hear you won the battle.

quote: Darn it, does this mean we can't rant about our Discovery's engineering anymore...lol. unquote: c'est la vie

Oh well, back to moaning about politics and politicians eh

Old 12-22-2016, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fast951
Well, I got it. Cleaned away the corrosion near the break with a small wire brush and soaked with PB Blaster. Waited 24 hours. Hit it with my MAPP torch (small flame) for about a minute. Let cool and hit with PB again. Waited another day. Small Vice Grips on the nub and the POS time-wasting b@5tard broke loose.

Tomorrow I put everything back together with the new XYZ switch and move on. Hopefully.

Thanks for all the helpful comments and advice.
Nice one eh, at least you won . Just gotta get a new bolt now and a bundle of copper ease

But, you're not finished yet, don't forget to extend the A/C drain tube on the drivers side by about 6" and tie wrap it well out of the way. I believe it's about 8mm ID tube but check that size first. A/C condensate is pure(ish) water and very corrosive on steel.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:36 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
....A/C condensate is pure(ish) water and very corrosive on steel.
Yes, very true. I saw a new Ford (prototype?) that recycles condensate into drinking water for passengers. Has a tap and storage bottle in the center console. Better than letting it drip into the vehicle's electronics, that's for sure.

Quick Reply: General Disco RANT