Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting fuel injectors cleaned

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 06:39 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Getting fuel injectors cleaned

Sent my set of injectors to RC Fuel Injection down in CA. Got them back a week later from when I shipped them out. $200 for the service, plus another $26.50 for shipping.

I never had any real issue with how the engine ran, apart from the usual Rover V8 issues like ticking and leaks. Surprised to see how bad one injector was and how big the difference was for flow between them all. I'm interested to get my engine put back together and see if I can feel any improvements.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

A brand new set of Bosch fuel injectors is under $400. Is it really worth to wait one week and put 20 years old injectors back in order to save $174?

The following users liked this post:
matt3502 (03-27-2023)
Old 05-25-2021, 08:01 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

My project has become a test bed for services that I can use in the future for other projects. I've got an idea on how RC's service works and what to expect now. While I had things apart, I figured I may as well give their service a try.

Old 03-24-2023, 01:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

While I am preparing my used replacement engine for drop-in, I want to address the fuel injectors. Did anyone try the cleaning services on e-bay for about $9 per injector? How well does DIY cleaning work in comparison?

Old 03-24-2023, 02:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

I've done it both ways. I've sent multiple sets to Hurst Injector Service in Fitchburg MA and Paul does a great job cleaning and refurbishing them for about $25/per. I also needed a set pretty quickly and didn't have time to wait so I rigged up a DIY setup using an old fuel fail, a can of carb cleaner, a battery charger, a momentary switch, an injector plug and some fuel hose. It was also partially to make sure I was using 6 working injectors before I installed them so I figured it was worth the effort. This particular rail had an outlet for a cold start valve so I used a piece of hose to connect it to the FPR outlet (return to tank) and close the system. I also stuck the injectors in the rail upside down so I could backflush them. I hooked the rail inlet inlet to the can of carb cleaner, an old O2 sensor cover with a hole poked in the end made a perfect adapter from the red straw to the fuel hose, and I put the momentary switch in between the battery charger and the injector plug. I pressurized the rail with a good amount of carb cleaner and started cycling the momentary switch which sprayed the cleaner and I suppose some whatever out of the screens. I did each one individually and went through the whole can of carb cleaner, if nothing else I feel like I gave them a good old down home cleaning, which was better than nothing after sitting on a shelf for 10 years. I wouldn't smoke while you do this, and I had a fire extinguisher close by, but it all worked out fine.