Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a little worried as I get into my new 02 D2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Getting a little worried as I get into my new 02 D2

I have been having a great experience driving around in my new D2, but I a little concerned now that it has been a month and I am noticing more and more issues (or maybe they are normal, as I see lots of common items with this forum). I have fixed many little things and now have stopped looking at the cosmetic items (bumpers, lifts, racks etc) and will be focusing on the key issues.... but what order should I attack and can I do them myself??

Vehicle: 2002 Disco 2
Milage: 153,000 mi
Paid: 2700.00

Items fixed:
1. Front drive shaft
2. Flushed all fluids
3. 180 t-stat
4. Replaced rear door hinge

Items of concern
1. Coolant leaking... can't find it (still looking) but not in the oil
2. Oil leak (of course) from the front cover
3. Throttle body heater leaking (ordered parts to fix)
4. Transfer Case leaking slightly

I don't have much more funds to put into it right now, but I love it and want to keep it running good... as long as I can. I guess my question is where to focus... I did buy a UG to keep eyes on the temp, it stays between 187 - 195 degrees F. I think that is good.... but don't know. What I am working on right now:
1. one of the mbrs frm this forum is sending me heads and I will have them checked and prepped, it should not be much - hoping for less than 400.00?? but don't know.
2. I want to continue driving it as a daily driver, but should that be ok?
3. Will I do any significant damage if I continue (I check coolant / oil every couple days)...?

I have already said this... but I have run out of funds getting this far, but don't want to wreck it while I continue to drive. I would appreciate any help that you guys can provide... As up to this point, I have received OUTSTANDING support for my issues

I hope to driving my rover for years to come - with out spending my life savings :P CHEERS!!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I had my heads done for ~350 I think at a reputable shop. That was to have the heads shaved and all new valves, that's it. I paid an extra 200 for the port and polish.

In order of importance, fix the coolant leak. It's one of three things:
Head gasket
Radiator
Hose

If you're doing the heads anyway, then start there with all the gaskets. While everything is apart, replace all the ****ty coolant hose clamps with band clamps (the type that you can tighten with a 1/4" or 5/16" socket). Obviously, replace the front cover gasket while you're there, along with the oil pump. Check the lifters for wear, and the cam lobes if you can see them. You can upgrade to a 4.6 cam pretty cheaply, or even get an aftermarket cam for a little more. That is, if your's is worn.

Next on the list, I would fix the transfer case leak. An engine oil leak is much easier to keep an eye on and much easier to top off.

Lastly is the engine oil leak. It is entirely possible that it is leaking from the seal between the block and the piece that the oil filter screws onto. That's where mine is leaking from right now. Or it's one of the places atleast.

Very last on the list is the throttle body heater. Honestly, it isn't that important. You could just bypass it with no ill effects. Some people say ice will build up inside, but I have mine bypassed and have driven it in all kinds of weather and temperatures from 25 degrees (Fahrenheit) to 85 degrees. I have yet to have any problems. If you already have the parts coming, then go ahead and fix it. Otherwise, dont worry about it and just get a coupler and couple the two hoses together.

Word from the wise: the cooling system isn't the only system to replace the factory clamps. Replace ALL of the ****ty factory clamps with band clamps whenever you remove one.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Items of concern
1. Coolant leaking... can't find it (still looking)
pressure test the cooling system cost nothing
2. Oil leak (of course) from the front cover
clean the front cover and tighten all bolts costs nothing
3. Throttle body heater leaking (ordered parts to fix)
it could be your only coolant leak
4. Transfer Case leaking slightly
blue devil don't know the cost but cheaper than re-gasketing the transfer case just get the right product.

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

check the throttle body heater plate for leaks, mine leaked only at driving temps.

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (11-25-2014)