Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Power Steering Pump Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 10:28 AM
4wd Low
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

So this is where I am getting all the traffic from

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
I would use VSS over GPS for speed. I agree that I don't think GPS is ideal, would much rather have that hardwired. The brunosteering option I linked to above is just a dial for manually setting the amount of assist (no GPS, no speed input). Pretty simple. The Nmstec option lets you program the amount of assist for a given speed etc., which is why it is more expensive.
Mines pricier because of as you mentioned the options to program it, but also because of the many types of inputs it can accept. Proper VR conditioner, PWM input, can % control, Can VSS, etc. This and along with being able to control almost every type of assist out there, and ability to update the firmware for more features and vehicles that I will support in future.
As well as pushpull outputs for speedometers or feedback.
Here's a demo ui NMS-PSC (nmstec.ca)

If someone wants to build their own Volvo controller, I welcome it and will be happy to assist: NMSTEC/Volvo_EPS_FREE (github.com)

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
Thank you again. I watched this video earlier; https://youtu.be/1NucQGoU40w
which shows that brunosteering kit being used.
Seemed legit but now I'm looking into why nmstec says gps is no good and how to work with that system.

Thanks Aaron
Hey Aaron! My hatred for GPS in mission critical system runs deep from my own experience of getting into trouble with its malfunctions. I work in the movie industry and I build electronics for cars to do particular stunts and such.
In my case, GPS is a specifically bad thing for anyone doing anything other than driving on clean pavement. During drifting, you do not want your assist to change in any unexpected way.
GPS has a tendency to occasionally miscalculate its location, and jump into a different location, giving you a false high speed reading, this in turn will dial the assist way down, not great if you're on a corner. A quick way to combat this, is to average the speeds, and find the outlier, but then GPS becomes slow.
Same issue if you're not in the most open of areas, and are driving somewhere with plenty of trees or in the city.

For overlanding, your speeds would be slow enough for GPS to not register correctly as well as being in the bush doesn't help the signal.

Overall me hating GPS is a me thing! Also my controller does support GPS speed input if you do prefer to use it, but in my opinion its much easier to just tap a speedometer input wire that will give you a much more accurate reading with much less chance of failure.

Edit: I don't recommend Volvo pumps because of their price. People have been buying them for years simply because they work in limp mode, and due to this, demand has gone up. I'd recommend 10-12 Mazda3/5 pumps instead. Since they are not used due to lack of operation in limp mode, you can find them for $50 at junkyards. They are the same system as volvo, but also come with remote reservoirs. Here is one we installed for a customer in his Drift s13: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pMRsttc1s1PKhFFr8

Last edited by NMStec; 01-23-2023 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Forgot to add some information regarding pump cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by NMStec:
Mntnceguy (01-23-2023), whowa004 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 446 Likes on 260 Posts

I agree too, GPS is not reliable for real time speed measurements. It should be possible to scan the speed via the diagnosis port and use that as input. I do Arduino and CAN-bus stuff too, but first I need to replace my blown engine

Old 01-23-2023, 01:53 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Discorama
I agree too, GPS is not reliable for real time speed measurements. It should be possible to scan the speed via the diagnosis port and use that as input. I do Arduino and CAN-bus stuff too, but first I need to replace my blown engine
I do support canbus VSS inputs!

Old 01-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 446 Likes on 260 Posts

Cool, I didn't see that by glancing over it. Have you tried the BMW Mini Cooper steering pump? That would retain the original reservoir and make it easier to install due to space limitations.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:35 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Discorama
Cool, I didn't see that by glancing over it. Have you tried the BMW Mini Cooper steering pump? That would retain the original reservoir and make it easier to install due to space limitations.
The mini pump is a single flow rate, uncontrolled pump. That and its failure rate is ridiculously high even on OEM systems. This is about the only reason they are so expensive.

I am working on the Charger EHPAS, which is mounted horizontally, so may work for space constraints.

Discorama (01-24-2023), FTL (04-16-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 12:59 AM
4wd Low

Good news, I got the Charger pumps running. Dimensions in the link Support for a new, and most powerful EHPAS we’ve seen yet – NMStec

FTL (04-16-2023), whowa004 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NMStec
Good news, I got the Charger pumps running. Dimensions in the link Support for a new, and most powerful EHPAS we’ve seen yet – NMStec
The specs on that Challenger pump look great. Might even be able to run hydroboost brakes with a pump putting out that much flow and pressure.

One thing I'm noticing that might make the swap a little more difficult than the Volvo pump though... the high pressure line connection is different and would require a special made line to connect to the pump with, rather than just an adapter. Also, the Challenger pumps seem to be about double the cost of the Volvo ones, on eBay anyway. Might be worth it for those specs though....

EDIT: I probably should've done this before posting originally, but after NMStec's post, I realized I had never looked up Volvo specs, and when I did, I'm seeing 1700psi and 4.4gpm being reported. Maybe I'm mistaken or misunderstanding something, but it seems the Volvo is a higher flowing pump at similar pressures?

Last edited by Mntnceguy; 02-19-2023 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added research findings
Old 02-19-2023, 12:25 AM
4wd Low

Sorry not sure how those values are possible. I had them personally tested and not anywhere near that for GPM for sure. 1.9 is what I have, which lines up with manufacturer "diagnostic" information. They for sure have a 1200psi bypass.

For fittings, you are correct. I am still in process of trying to find one that fits and converts to a AN fitting, or CNCing one. I have several customer who have bought those and once completed they are willing to share the solutions with me.

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (02-19-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 05:43 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
The specs on that Challenger pump look great. Might even be able to run hydroboost brakes with a pump putting out that much flow and pressure.

One thing I'm noticing that might make the swap a little more difficult than the Volvo pump though... the high pressure line connection is different and would require a special made line to connect to the pump with, rather than just an adapter. Also, the Challenger pumps seem to be about double the cost of the Volvo ones, on eBay anyway. Might be worth it for those specs though....

EDIT: I probably should've done this before posting originally, but after NMStec's post, I realized I had never looked up Volvo specs, and when I did, I'm seeing 1700psi and 4.4gpm being reported. Maybe I'm mistaken or misunderstanding something, but it seems the Volvo is a higher flowing pump at similar pressures?
Update, I have a customer who has fully fitted a Jeep Cherokee pump. He said he will share the step files for the high pressure connection.
Johan, from South Africa, and his insane Jeep – NMStec

The following 3 users liked this post by NMStec:
Alex_M (04-07-2023), FTL (04-16-2023), Mntnceguy (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 08:54 PM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NMStec
Update, I have a customer who has fully fitted a Jeep Cherokee pump. He said he will share the step files for the high pressure connection.
Johan, from South Africa, and his insane Jeep – NMStec
I think that looks very promising, if we can figure out how to plumb it...

The following users liked this post:
FTL (04-16-2023)

Quick Reply: GM Power Steering Pump Conversion Kit