Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to look at a lifted 96 Disco. Newbie ?s

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to look at a lifted 96 Disco. Newbie ?s

I've been wheeling for a few years on a lifted armored

So I'm going to take a look at an OME2" lifted '96 4.0 Disco. Runs on 31"s, has a safari rack, diff guards,and other extras, Has a brocken Fox shock at one corner, 80k mi,and an ABS issue. He's asking $6K. Anything I should be looking for?

Who supplies decent lifts and how big can I reasonbly go before regearing? What's it take in liftto move up to 33" or 35"? Best way to increase flex and who makes the best shocks for the ride?
what to do about pinion angle on lifts? Does it matter much?
What are the pros and cons of a '96 compared to other years?

Any other notes? Thanks in advance NMc

Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: going to look at a lifted 96 Disco. Newbie ?s

Too much for a 96, should be more around $4000 less the ABS repair, be careful.
When you find one that works then lets talk about part and supplier.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the advice.The sellersays he's had most of the usual issues gone through pretty well, we'll see. I'll bring it into she shop and see what it's worth.I think the biggest deterant is that everybody out here has one, stock and never off the pavement though.I just finnished a bunch of work on a 94 Disco this morning.

A little about me: I'm 23 and have two years of tech school under my belt. I have 7 ASEs, SP2 & TIA training. Mostly my experience is with Toyotaas they provided the tools and traing info. I'm working as a apprentice mechanic in Aspen and have access to parts and the shop.

I've been wheeling now for a few years in a beaten 1.6L '90 2dr Suzuki Sidekick. I'veoutfitted it with Rocky Road Outfittersrocker rails,ASky 1" lift, Sumotomo HTR Lt235.75R15s upfrom P205.70 R15s,Warn hubs, over sized front calipers, custom half door , custom tops and most recently an IHI RHB52 turbo. I've collected a bunch of gear for camping and wheeling over the years and done a bunch of othe misc mods.I've owned my Rig since I was 17 and have driven the wheels offmy Kickmultiple times over and want to move up to something and more comfortable andcapable- yes I know a highly modded Suzuki Sidekick can out do most other SUVs off road. It seems to me just about everythingI could buildfor my rig were already engineered into a Land Rover.

I'm a recent transplant from Utah, and I am most used to Moab slick rock. I would like to get into multi-day cross-terrain camping/wheeling trips.

So Hi! And thank you to the 1 of 20 viewers who bothered to respond. Remember folks- forums don't work passively. Noah- NMc

Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 AM
3rd Gear

You can check http://www.cardomain.com/ride/817265to get a look at what I'm talking about.

The other option is a used Suzuki M50 Boulevard cruiser motorcycle and continue building my Kick. But it has some 300k mi on it and it's pretty beat. I was not kind to it. Soething about a seven-teen year old with dreams of becomeing the next Colin McCrea you know? NMc

Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The extras that are on the Disco do not help the price.

Its nice to have the extras but the OME setup if over 50k on them may need to be changed out, diff guards $60.bucks maybe, roof rack I'm not sure.

Broken shock tells you about the abuse.

Not having the ABS fixed means he checked it and cost to much.

On 96 and 97 Disco's initial quality was not what it needed to be so they got a bad rap, most of the things where taken care of by the dealers if you had a good dealer you had no problems.
The bad rap is why you can get them cheaper.
There are still alot of reviews on line that talk the 96 and 97's down and that reinforces the idea thou with little merit in IMO.

If its a early 96 its is pre advanced EVAP and thats good less to go wrong, and most parts are cheaper.

You can find 96's for $2500 to $3500 and most have not been off roaded, so you can get one for a parts truck if needed cheap.

2" is about all you can go with out about $2200 in parts then shipping from the U.K.

The other thing is the fuel mileage you need to be ready for that as we have a lot of people get a LR's and cry about the mpg's 10 to 13mpg in town for most and 14 to 17 hwy.
There will be some that can get better but they are the few "The ones that check down hill with a tail wind"

Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The one good thing about that truck is the roof rack, SD racks, if in good condition are for a good $800.