Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a good tranny?

I need a new tranny. Found this one on the web. Anyone know anything about this company or the tranny they are offering?

2003 LAND ROVER LAND ROVER - Transmission, Transaxle Automatic Transmission, Discovery, 5-Years Warranty - Car Monkeys

Old 12-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

It's a used tranny. One of the dismantlers on this site can sell you one for WAY cheaper.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Gbob, from what I've seen the going rate for a good used tranny is more like $300-$400. I just did a craigslist search for Boston and found this guy parting out three DIIs. He says the trannys are good in all three. He's even north of Boston, just like you. Looks like North Shore, somewhere near Newbury. Sounds like he's pretty handy with a wrench too; maybe he'd do the swap for you at a better price than other shops. Good luck.

Land Rover Discovery Parts - Three complete cars to pick from ..

Last edited by mln01; 12-05-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

It would be best to get a trans from an 03/04 as it's got a different power rating than the 99-02. Also it is 1" shorter or longer than the others. I believe you can still use the earlier model, but not as tough to handle the 4.6 motor. The length might not be a problem, but not sure as I have never don't the swap.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Good point. The craigslist ad does say '99-'02 but the light green one in the pictures is an '04.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

No, this is a pretty good tranny, you cant really make out the bulge because of the excellent tuck job. If you swapped out the regular stockings for fishnets and threw some heels on there, I'd give him a 8.5/10

Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely a used Tranny as well. Looks pretty clean but who knows how worn out it is. Ha!

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
No, this is a pretty good tranny, you cant really make out the bulge because of the excellent tuck job. If you swapped out the regular stockings for fishnets and threw some heels on there, I'd give him a 8.5/10

Old 12-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech

True story RMT. When I worked in Paris late '70's after a night downtown with a pal we cruised through the Bois de Boulogne getting an 'eyeful' of the 'available talent' .... h__kers. One girl opened her raincoat invitingly and was absolutely starkers underneath. She looked like a young Brigette Bardot, I was left scrabbling around the car looking for my wallet. We went on further and I was warned by Jean-Yves that this particular end of the park was trannies mostly from Colombia and that region. I have to admit they looked some of the most gorgeous looking 'women' I'd ever seen. Good job I was never tempted to test the 'goods'

Old 12-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mln01

Sent a quick email to the craiglist poster...haven't heard back. I'll wait n see.

In the meantime, and as I think things through about the tranny I found on the web, it really doesn't make any sense to pay that kind of money for it. I was originally stoked about the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, but for about $400 - and incidentally the tranny I found at this website has 82k for miles - I'm really buying two transmissions, but getting only one. I get the other tranny if the 1st one dies.

Anyhow, maybe the craiglist guy will reply and says he has something for me. Also, Zach from Rover's North turned me on to a guy in KY that has two trannys ready for delivery - one with 120k miles and the other sub-100k for miles. Rather not pay for the shipping and such of the guy up in my neck of the woods has one for me that is decent.

Any states make it legal to drop a TDI in my '03 disco and still pass yearly state inspection?

Old 12-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Camel Trophy

Gbob, your craigslist guy stated a clear preference for you to call instead of email or text.

And as I was posting yesterday I was wondering how long it would take for the tranny discussion to veer off into the ditch. 😊

Quick Reply: Is this a good tranny?