Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Gbob, any update? Were you able to buy a tranny from the craigslist seller?

Old 12-14-2014, 04:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey MLN 01:

Thanks for the follow-up.

No, but funny story. I know the guy selling...only he used is middle name and not his first name when he advertised on CL. He sells used cars in general and tried to sell me an Isuzu before I bought my disco almost two years ago. Maybe should have gone with the Isuzu in hindsight!! Anyway, he has a couple of discos for sale and parting out a whole bunch of discos (as you spotted) but nothing that will fit my '03.
His name is Wentzell.

Bottom line....I'm in it between $5k and $7k for everything...HG and tranny. The higher end of the cost if I go rebuilt tranny with one year warranty and unlimited mileage. ARP studs on the HG and of course, re-sealing the whole engine. Price also includes timing chain and cover replacement.

Haven't pulled the trigger on doing the repair because I'm debating if it is worth fixing or for another $4-$6k more (for a total of $10k), am I better off with a used Chevy SUV or something similar? My applications are rather unique; I tow the disco behind my motorhome so I would need another vehicle that is towable - as we say in motorhome language - 4 wheels down. Saturns, Jeep, some Chevys and GMC are towable. There are other car manufactures (Honda, Ford, etc.) that are towable 4 wheels down, but looking for something with AWD Automatic. My wife doesn't drive a stick and being up here in Bahstun (Boston), need something AWD or 4WD for our winters. Also, I would have between $500 to $1,000 up-front costs on any of these other used vehicles to prep it for towing 4 wheels down. I need a base plate for the front end and wiring for turn signal applications. Finally, I don't off-road or anything in the disco...just take the kiddos to Karate and Tennis. I just like being the cool-looking dad driving in a Disco and not any other cookie-cutter SUV. Ego and image for me, sad to admit.

Anyway, probably more information than you need to know. But thanks for the follow-up.

gbob